Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Seal a Roof

Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Leaks Poll

Any one interested in starting a class action suit on Roof water leaks? Anyone frustrated enough?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saharaharry
Any one interested in starting a class action suit on Roof water leaks? Anyone frustrated enough?
If I had bought mine new and had these problems it might have frustrated me enough, but I bought it with 87,000 miles on it, so I figured it was wear. I have talked to many people who haven't had any issues with leaks, so I can't speak to whether there should be a suit. From what I understand, this is a common t-top issue, not just with Jeeps.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 14 sport s and mine leaks right above the radio. Just like someone else said, it leaks every time I it rains and I brake reasonably hard.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 2 14s they leaked when the weather stripping moved when top was taken off. Take off the freedom tops and check seals and take time putting them back on. I've found when my leaked the stripping was folded funny.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM
BJT
JK Newbie

Default first time leak after it snowed

my first leak just happened with my 2014 JKU that was purchased in March. We've had lots of heavy rain over the summer so I don't know why it waited until the snow to land before this started.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BJT
my first leak just happened with my 2014 JKU that was purchased in March. We've had lots of heavy rain over the summer so I don't know why it waited until the snow to land before this started.
I think cold temps cause some seals to leak at times. Where is the leak?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 13 leaks above the door handle passenger side. Had the molding replaced twice and still leaks bad. Very frustrating. Everytime it rains I gotta wipe it down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1930645890.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	585767  
Old 11-27-2014, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

My 2011 leaks there too. Looks like it was comming from the seam at the top where the corner top meets the frame. Water slowly seeps in and drops there and on my dash right above the vents.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saharaharry
Since my latest Jeep is a 14 Rubi X, I had thought by now the leak problem would be solved.
This situation has been going on since 2007. You don't have to be a GENIUS to do the math,
but that's like 8 model years they are producing this vehicle with known defects. Yes, DEFECTS.
No matter what your model, you paid GOOD money for a vehicle that they are knowingly building with issues.
I have not even made my first payment yet, and the leaks prevail. No, I am not just venting, but stating
a fact. Was wondering if you fellow Wrangler owners with this problem would be interested in starting a
CLASS ACTION suit to get to a solution or a settlement?
Put in your 4 cents on this!

trade your jeep in for a van yah wanker.

its a ****in jeep...everyone since the dawn of time has known jeeps leak.

seriously...buy a mini van.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it leaks its a problem. It can be fixed. If you want to settle for a leaking top that's your loss.

For OP and others, if you can't get your freedom tops tops to seal, try loosening the bolts holding the hard top to the tub. Then install the freedom tops before re-tightening the tub bolts. There's not much play in the position of the main piece of the top but it doesn't take much to let water in.

Also Google or search the forum for the:
Jeep Diagnostic Manual Water Leaks

Quick Reply: Seal a Roof