Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Seat belt locked up

Old 05-26-2015, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belt locked up

After going through a pit this weekend my passanger side seatbelt has locked up and will not disengage. Any ideas on how to free it? I shoved my power washer down in it and sprayed WD in it as well. I was going to take it apart but one side says caution do not remove.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Happened to me a few times. I just wash it with a garden hose and play with it till it frees up, then I wash and oil it good
Old 05-26-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

On the back side bottom towards the back seat white plastic and a square at the bottom. On the seat belt spool. NOT the one with the metal circle tube towards the front of the vehicle with the cap. You can pop it off with a flat head. in the square piece at the bottom is a metal ball and a blue lock. U can clean it out with carb cleaner normally dirt gets trapped with that ball bearing causing it to lock Put back together and clip it back it and it's done not hard take 2 mins.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys Ill try this tomorrow
Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

To finish out this thread, I followed Jsmiths instructions and found mud caked in the ball bearing. Cleaned that and the blue wheel. Also held the lock closed and unspooled my seat belt and hit it with brake cleaner then added white lithium grease to the wheel and ball bearing. Put it all back togethet and it works perfectly. Thabks guys for all your help

Quick Reply: Seat belt locked up