Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Serpentine Belt

Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt

Okay, I have a 2009 jeep wrangler unlimited with 105k Miles. Original owner, daily driver. I took it to a dealer to get an oil consumption test done. Basically they said it was burning 1 - 1.5 every 3000 Miles. Then they changed it to 2000 Miles. They said if I disagree with it to file a claim with Chrysler. I did. So they did a compression test and said everything was within specs and they could not do anything. So I get my jeep back and within 10-15 Miles the serpentine belt breaks. So I call then today to see what caused it. They said the air intake sensor popped out. Got into the idler pulley and broke part of it off cause the belt to come off and break. They are asking for $450 to fix it. First, the sensor is not likely to just pop off. My question is if it did would it be able to reach the idler pulley and then break it. I saying no way. I think they broke the pulley when doing the compression test and that caused the belt to break and breating off the air intake sensor in the process. Thoughts??? Sorry for being long winded
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by largie183
Okay, I have a 2009 jeep wrangler unlimited with 105k Miles. Original owner, daily driver. I took it to a dealer to get an oil consumption test done. Basically they said it was burning 1 - 1.5 every 3000 Miles. Then they changed it to 2000 Miles. They said if I disagree with it to file a claim with Chrysler. I did. So they did a compression test and said everything was within specs and they could not do anything. So I get my jeep back and within 10-15 Miles the serpentine belt breaks. So I call then today to see what caused it. They said the air intake sensor popped out. Got into the idler pulley and broke part of it off cause the belt to come off and break. They are asking for $450 to fix it. First, the sensor is not likely to just pop off. My question is if it did would it be able to reach the idler pulley and then break it. I saying no way. I think they broke the pulley when doing the compression test and that caused the belt to break and breating off the air intake sensor in the process. Thoughts??? Sorry for being long winded
Just looked at mine, and it could reach the idler. However, people have a hard time removing that sensor from the rubber intake duct -- So I'm skeptical that it would come out without human intervention somewhere in the recent timeline of events.

Suspect there would have been an intake air sensor code set shortly after it broke off in the serpentine belt -- If it broke off in the serpentine belt. Hope that helps.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While it would be highly coincidental that the sensor popped off just after that, unfortunately there no way to prove anything.

What dealer are you going to? Im just down the road from you and we normally use Manns Chrysler in Mt sterling. They have always treated us right and have done multiple oil consumption tests. Ended up putting a set of re-manufactured heads and later on replacing the intake manifold gasket.. which they had to replace when they put the new heads on and Im assuming screwed up...

Anyway, for now the oil consumption has stopped and its also stopped drinking antifreeze.

Unless other things are broken, have you considered checking it out yourself? Im assuming a new intake air temperature sensor, idler pulley, and belt.. All of which 'should' be fairly easy to replace. That dealer markup on parts will kill you.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by largie183
... Thoughts??? ...
The worst thing about being a mechanic (my brother is one) is that anything that happens after the mechanic has worked is very likely to be blamed on that mechanic. If you don't trust the mechanic you're hiring, find another. Meanwhile, those parts are probably about $60-70 and it's less than an hour of work. Suck it up and do it. You're unlikely to win this battle with the mechanic unless you have an especially good relationship with him. Find one who you do and put this behind you.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The worst thing about being a mechanic (my brother is one) is that anything that happens after the mechanic has worked is very likely to be blamed on that mechanic. If you don't trust the mechanic you're hiring, find another. Meanwhile, those parts are probably about $60-70 and it's less than an hour of work. Suck it up and do it. You're unlikely to win this battle with the mechanic unless you have an especially good relationship with him. Find one who you do and put this behind you.
Yup, this. Find one you trust or do it yourself.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm at 105k on my 2008 and I'm looking for directions on how to replace the serpentine belt. I'm gonna do some preventive maintenance now at 105 so it's strong for a few trips coming up in a few months.

Is there a writeup or YouTube video on how to replace the serpentine belt for a newb? It appears that it's just putting a 1/2 ratchet on the tensioner and routing the belt properly however without dad looking over my shoulder I've been known to screw things up.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EHarris
I'm at 105k on my 2008 and I'm looking for directions on how to replace the serpentine belt. I'm gonna do some preventive maintenance now at 105 so it's strong for a few trips coming up in a few months. Is there a writeup or YouTube video on how to replace the serpentine belt for a newb? It appears that it's just putting a 1/2 ratchet on the tensioner and routing the belt properly however without dad looking over my shoulder I've been known to screw things up.
It's a 3/8" I believe but very simple, take pictures or use another type of diagram.

Takes a few minutes.

This photo is from another thread, posted by another member.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3557110898.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	664494  
Old 01-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks. I'll definitely shoot my own pictures and video too.

When you loosen the bolt on the tensioner does that just take slight pressure off of it or does that entire arm kinda swing down? Someone told me there is an extreme amount of pressure on them and to be very careful but I'm not sure what I'm looking out for. Lol
Old 01-15-2017, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EHarris
Thanks. I'll definitely shoot my own pictures and video too. When you loosen the bolt on the tensioner does that just take slight pressure off of it or does that entire arm kinda swing down? Someone told me there is an extreme amount of pressure on them and to be very careful but I'm not sure what I'm looking out for. Lol
No bolts are undone.

The ratchet actually goes into the tensioner pulley, as you mentioned seeing where it locks up. You push on it and it moves the pulley over releasing the belt. It's probably 20 pounds of pressure to move it out of place, and it puts itself right back when you let off.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:33 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

On a related note: Since the serpentine belt is so small, light, and easy to replace, I think it's great to carry a spare.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt