Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shaking at 65+. Don't think it's my steering.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfr
Driveline vibration?
I really hope not. I am about to get a lift and tires, so hopefully when I regear, that will go away if it's the issue. I'm not really sure what to look at to check that.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
... everything is stock except for the leveling kit that I have installed. ...
Originally Posted by PANGMAN
... did you get an alignment after the leveling kit.
I didn't get an alignment after I installed it. That might be a problem.
Very unlikely if it wasn't a problem before you installed the leveling kit. Being stock, there are only two adjustments to your alignment, and they can be done in a few minutes in your driveway: Recenter the steering wheel, and adjust the toe. Installing a lift (including a leveling kit) can push your steering wheel off center. That will not cause vibration, though it can cause your ESP to engage and your dash to light up with various warning lights, especially during hard turns. And installing a lift will not affect your toe. So, if you pay someone to put it on an alignment rack and "fix" it, it will likely be because there are worn/bent parts. There are no other adjustments.

Which gets back to the question I posed earlier: Now that I'm on a computer I can see that you're driving a 2013 JK. But, how many miles on it? And how many miles on those tires? And what parts of Planman's checklist have you run so far?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...bles-260145/#b
Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Very unlikely if it wasn't a problem before you installed the leveling kit. Being stock, there are only two adjustments to your alignment, and they can be done in a few minutes in your driveway: Recenter the steering wheel, and adjust the toe. Installing a lift (including a leveling kit) can push your steering wheel off center. That will not cause vibration, though it can cause your ESP to engage and your dash to light up with various warning lights, especially during hard turns. And installing a lift will not affect your toe. So, if you pay someone to put it on an alignment rack and "fix" it, it will likely be because there are worn/bent parts. There are no other adjustments.

Which gets back to the question I posed earlier: Now that I'm on a computer I can see that you're driving a 2013 JK. But, how many miles on it? And how many miles on those tires? And what parts of Planman's checklist have you run so far?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...bles-260145/#b

The Jeep has almost 32,000 miles on it and the tires have been on it since I bought it. I know the tires are crap, but it's hard to build a Jeep and go to college at the same time. I'll be getting new tires and a lift kit soon. I've been wheeling my Jeep stock and keeping up with my friends built JK's so far, and that might be another part of it. It might be time for a thorough inspection of my Jeep. Also, I haven't run any of the check list yet. I was going to go over some of it later today though.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:34 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jeep has almost 32,000 miles on it and the tires have been on it since I bought it. I know the tires are crap, but it's hard to build a Jeep and go to college at the same time. I'll be getting new tires and a lift kit soon. I've been wheeling my Jeep stock and keeping up with my friends built JK's so far, and that might be another part of it. It might be time for a thorough inspection of my Jeep. Also, I haven't run any of the check list yet. I was going to go over some of it later today though.
If you're still on the same set of tires + you've been wheeling it, I'm betting on an out-of-round or unbalanced tire. If you haven't done any regular maintenance checks, especially doing a once-over at the very minimum every time after getting back from a wheeling trip, who knows what else might be wrong / on the verge of breaking / need replacement.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Tires are probably the most likely culprit, especially if they have not been rotated for 32,000 miles...

But again, it's all speculation on our part. You may notice that before you even get to step number one in the diagnosis checklist, there is a noted 'assumption' that the tires have proper balance/rotation/psi. So that should be your first step, if it has not already been done.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
If you're still on the same set of tires + you've been wheeling it, I'm betting on an out-of-round or unbalanced tire. If you haven't done any regular maintenance checks, especially doing a once-over at the very minimum every time after getting back from a wheeling trip, who knows what else might be wrong / on the verge of breaking / need replacement.
I got it fixed yesterday. My tires were out of balance. I figured that it was a tire issue, because I keep a pretty good eye on everything else. Looks like it's time to move up to 35"s or 37"s.

Quick Reply: Shaking at 65+. Don't think it's my steering.