Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shaking at 65+. Don't think it's my steering.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shaking at 65+. Don't think it's my steering.

Hey there, y'all.

I'm having issues with my Jeep shaking when I hit about 65+. It does not feel like the shake is in the steering, but it's still concerning me. It's a fairly constant vibration and I have no idea what it could be, as everything is stock except for the leveling kit that I have installed. Wondering if anyone else has had issues like this, or if there is something in particular I should look at. Any help or suggestions are welcome. I'll post pictures of stuff if needed. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Go up to JK Write-Ups. Stuck right to the top is a great shimmy/dw diagnosis thread.

Rather than a bunch of speculation and guessing, you might be better off just going through the writeup and videos and checking a few things yourself. Then come back with the additional questions you are bound to have.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tires might be out of balance. Some weights might have fallen off. Happens.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catahoula
Tires might be out of balance. Some weights might have fallen off. Happens.
This +1. Swap tires front to rear so you can better pin down which set is giving you the shakes. If it's an older tire, could also be "out of round" which means the tire needs to be replaced.

*edit* After checking the balancing of all tires and after the swap from front to rear you are still getting shaking in the front end, then you're going to have to do a more thorough diagnosis on all the front components like trackbar, ball joints, etc.

Last edited by DJ1; 04-20-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:52 AM
DJ1
Former Member

...but yes, still go to the JK Write-Ups section. Best to learn the other causes of shimmy & the extreme death wobble.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi

X2 on the balancing, rotate your tires it should help if not check for wear in the suspension components
Old 04-20-2015, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
Hey there, y'all.

I'm having issues with my Jeep shaking when I hit about 65+. It does not feel like the shake is in the steering, but it's still concerning me. It's a fairly constant vibration and I have no idea what it could be, as everything is stock except for the leveling kit that I have installed. Wondering if anyone else has had issues like this, or if there is something in particular I should look at. Any help or suggestions are welcome. I'll post pictures of stuff if needed. Thanks!
As suggested, follow the death wobble/shimmy troubleshooting checklist written by Planman. Also, answers to questions like this depend on how old/many miles your Jeep has. Fill out your profile to help folks better answer your questions, if you haven't already. And since profile isn't accessible through the phone app, suggest you include that in your question as well.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:30 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Driveline vibration?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
Hey there, y'all.

I would balance tires and did you get an alignment after the leveling kit.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PANGMAN
I would balance tires and did you get an alignment after the leveling kit.
I didn't get an alignment after I installed it. That might be a problem.

Quick Reply: Shaking at 65+. Don't think it's my steering.