Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shifter stock size?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter stock size?

Hey so i want to do something a bit different, ive seen ppl put grenades and other random objects as shift knobs. I want to use this i know ill have to do some modding but can anyone tell me the size of the diameter of the shift stock? Also what is on the top once you remove the stock knob? Can you thread the stock if it doesn't have threads for thread on knobs allready?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1203719985.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	548099
Old 04-24-2014, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The factory knob is just pressed on, most aftermarket knobs use a set screw to secure it to the shaft. Put a big crescent wrench under the knob and hit up on it with a hammer and it will pop off. Be careful not to hit yourself in the face.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The factory knob is just pressed on, most aftermarket knobs use a set screw to secure it to the shaft. Put a big crescent wrench under the knob and hit up on it with a hammer and it will pop off. Be careful not to hit yourself in the face.
Yes i know thats how to get it off but this Budweiser shift mod i wanna do is 3/8 would that fit on or no? I know id need to find a way to secure it but i wanna see how big the shifter stock is first to give me an idea what im working with. Anyone else done anything like this?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Try measuring the shaft, it is not tapered or anything. I would bet it is larger then 3/8" though.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Shifter stock size?

If it's larger then 3/8" you could cut it flush after removing it and drill it to accept a 3/8" shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by suprablaski; 04-24-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock shifter lever measurements

Originally Posted by Razerv3c1
Hey so i want to do something a bit different, ive seen ppl put grenades and other random objects as shift knobs. I want to use this i know ill have to do some modding but can anyone tell me the size of the diameter of the shift stock? Also what is on the top once you remove the stock knob? Can you thread the stock if it doesn't have threads for thread on knobs allready?

Attachment 548099
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...5/#post1318395
Actual size is 0.580", about 37/64; closest to 9/16 or 0.5625". There are NO threads on the shaft, just a notch and a flat area to accomodate the standard POS knob. The T-case shift lever is the same design, but closer to 7/16 diameter with the same notch and flat area. Both knobs are press on, pop off style - and they are known to rattle.

Once you pull your stock knob and see the design, you will likely conclude that you do NOT want to modify your stick shift lever with threads. Rather, you might want to consider drilling out the new knob to slide onto the shift lever itself, and affix it to the shift lever with an allen head set screw. That would require you to drill a small diameter horizontal hole into the new knob and thread it for the set screw. The set screw would engage the notch on the shift lever. Makes it real easy to change your mind or your shift knob later too.

This is how Drake does it with their aluminum replacement knobs, and it works extremely well. Anything else is a PITA, imho.

Last edited by HankFard; 04-24-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Shifter stock size?