Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shuddering

Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shuddering

Have an '08 auto with 70,000 miles. Lately the jeep has been shaking/shuddering when the engine is lugging under load at low rpms. Doesn't happen when it's not lugging. Also occasionally had a rough idle but not usually. I'm considering changing plugs and wires as well as cleaning the throttle body. Any other recommendations? Otherwise runs great and doesn't burn much oil. I've kept up on all maintenance per the service manual. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I wonder if it could be severe spark knock. Put a full tank of 93 octane in. If the problem goes away then you have spark knock. I had that on a Ford Explorer. Run 93 all is fine. Run 87 or 89 and it ran like crap when calling for power at low rpms.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default could be something other than engine

motor mount , drive shaft, some times the load can bring out the vibration
just something to check out . sometimes even front end parts could make you think its engine under a load, & under regular rpm the start of a shimmy
Old 08-24-2016, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I wonder if it could be severe spark knock. Put a full tank of 93 octane in. If the problem goes away then you have spark knock. I had that on a Ford Explorer. Run 93 all is fine. Run 87 or 89 and it ran like crap when calling for power at low rpms.
If it were a spark knock wouldn't I get a check engine light?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
If it were a spark knock wouldn't I get a check engine light?
I never got a check engine light on my Ford Explorer. I drive it for a couple years in that condition. Once in a while someone would screw up and put 87 octane in. I wouldn't get more than a mile down the road when the spark knock would come back. Engine light never came on. I never addressed the root cause. I figured it was cheaper to keep using 93 octane than it would be to get it fixed. Most ford forums suggested it was a leaky intake manifold.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jordan, If your cruising around and rpm drops to around 1,500 and it starts shuddering like your driving over rumble strips it's probably your torque converter.

Mine had the torque converter do this and I had it fixed by the dealer a while back. I had less miles than you do too.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were a driveline problem it would be more of a speed thing and wouldn't depend on engine rpm. I think the rough idle and shudder could be related, but you're also due for plugs and wires.
Good idea on cleaning the throttle body at the same time.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Hey Jordan, If your cruising around and rpm drops to around 1,500 and it starts shuddering like your driving over rumble strips it's probably your torque converter. Mine had the torque converter do this and I had it fixed by the dealer a while back. I had less miles than you do too.
Unfortunately it feels exactly like rumble strips and my extended warranty ended about a year ago

Quick Reply: Shuddering