Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

snow tire recomendation

Old 04-17-2015, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me, I totally get how expensive your Jeep mods can be. Any question involving 'where' you can save money is a good one in my opinion.

So, you could buy just 4 17's and keep one of your 16's as a spare for short distance emergencies. I had a Cherokee that had a smaller spare on a smaller rim that was meant only for short distances; I think the manual actually said under 50 miles (was like this: How Far Can You Drive on a Spare Tire? » AutoGuide.com News).

But as others have advised here, I personally woudn't do it. I hate to admit, it would just drive me a little nuts 'seeing' a different size tire mounted on my Wrangler tailgate (though, I suppose there are options: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...ckside-319571/). But besides aesthetics, you might be happier in the long run with a full size spare by being able to rotate it with your other tires. If you can afford a full size spare, I would get it.

But to reiterate the answer your question, you could run your 16 as a smaller spare (Can I have a slightly smaller spare tire? - Jeep Wrangler Forum).

Quick Reply: snow tire recomendation