Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soft Top Back Window Zippers stuck

Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft Top Back Window Zippers stuck

When i try to take out my soft top back window the zippers are stuck right at the end of the procedure in the bottow left hand corner just before they should come off.

Any ideas? It looks like the zippers are possibly one tooth out of sync. I've tried pulling them both in each direction, etc. I've used some WD40.

But when i go to take out the back window the zippers are both just stuck there together at the end and wont move. I guess i'll have to run it into the dealership.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can get actual zipper lube ... make sure the part that moves is not spread open
Old 04-26-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's tough on mine too, and any other ones I've helped people do. Not sure what it is with the rear window, but the zippers seem horrible...hard to get around the turns and hard to get off at the end.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on my new top. I did miss a tooth but read the manual and noticed that the zipper heads are part of the rear window and not the soft top. I think I was yanking it wrong.

Once I pulled on the zipper heads downwards and the window itself, it popped out.

Tim
Old 04-26-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

I just had that exact problem myself. Yes when the window was last installed the zippers were not lined up properly.

It was a bitch to get the zippers back down fully. I used vasilene and a lot of tugging, pulling and whole bunch of GDMFSOB's before they finally came free.

There is no easy fix. I almost took it to the dealer. The service manager told me on the phone that they would probally replace the window and of course it wouldn't be under warranty.

Now I don't take out my back window. When I put the top down, I remove the bottom bar, and unzip both sides up around the curve. When the top comes down the window just folds up underneith.

I don't worry about scratches. It's scratched up already.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, couldn't get mine off, so I just roll it up. Use the Novus products to keep it clean and you'll be alright. Just make sure you do a good roll, no tailgate bar and don't crease it when you roll.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

Mine seems to jump a tooth or two every time I try to take it off. When I get to the bottom left, I grab my trusty pliers and give it a good yank. Does the trick. It seems to me that it skips when going around the corners

This time of year, once I open it, I leave it open. In fact... Very soon ill be taking the roof all the way off, so it won't be a big problem.

I have the mopar zipper lube, but that doesn't help with it missing teeth when I zip it, just makes it easier to miss teeth!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine's a real pain, too, so i roll it up and leave it in!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

ha, I am not the only one then! I haven't unzipped/zipped the rear often since the 1st PITA time, but I got them to the point of all teeth being covered, and only the silver portion at the bottom exposed. It rained tons this weekend, and no rear leaks so this will hopefully be fine. Of course, once I drop the top fully I may encounter the same problems, but hoping it loosens up by then...still have to try the bees wax or vaseline thing....
Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

I just started having the rear window problems as well since I put my soft top on for the summer. Nonetheless I've missed teeth and got it stuck horribly. It takes a lot tugging and pulling. However, I don't really have issues zipping it off. My problems now are zipping the window back up. I have to use pliers to hold the soft top zipper side while pushing the zipper heads up. I also feel tugging very hard one of these days will just rip the zipper side on the soft top.

btw also ripped those straps from the middle bow to the back. The one connected with those cheap rivets. Both of them were dunzo. So zip ties was the solution.

Also have a question: How do you go about going to a new dealership to get anything under warranty fixed? I only ask this cause my dealership is very difficult to deal with. Do i just call up the service dept and make an appt like usual?

Quick Reply: Soft Top Back Window Zippers stuck