Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Back Window Zippers stuck

Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the soft is covered under warranty right?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, i believe it is. they may just say youre not lining it up correctly but it hard to do that when it just doesnt like to be alined correctly in the first place haha. My rear window does the same thing to me everytime. id say just give it a good tug to get it off. its kinda violent but it works for me. havent seen any wear and tear yet from it either. like others have said, some kind of lube would help too
Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys. It's good to know you're not alone.

Anyway, i took it to the dealer since it's only 5 minutes away and we basically muscled it off.

So for the next time i made sure it was lined up real good when i put it back up (there's a bunch of showers coming in) and now i can see that the teeth are lined up good this time.

There's a kinda of latch to line up the starting pieces for the zippers that i guess is designed to try and stop the teeth getting out of line.

Thanks again for the replies. Love this site. Might not post too often but make a habit to read it often.
The following users liked this post:
DMTerra8814 (10-03-2022)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Resurrecting this thread cuz mine is major jacked up right now! Gonna try the WD40 bit and see, but this sucks! Tempted to just cut it out...but that would be bad!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiDude
Resurrecting this thread cuz mine is major jacked up right now! Gonna try the WD40 bit and see, but this sucks! Tempted to just cut it out...but that would be bad!
just got done fighting with mine.... ended up spraying it down with some silicon spray, inserting a 5" rod thru the rope attached to the zipper head and yanked like hell..... came right off, finally!

btw.... bought mine used and looked the previous owner had issues cuz the zipper tails are frayed and a little discolored...... 2007 jk
Old 07-25-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Back window zippers are the devil. -Mama

Mine back window is so screwed up... the teeth separate from the zipper behind the zipper so it is a huge mess.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default Soft Top Zipper

My soft top rear window zipper was so horrible, I GAVE my rear window to another JK that had his rear window cut from vandalism. I told him if he can make it work it's his.

08 2-DR Auto 35's, 3" BDS
Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Unhappy JK back window zipper.'.'.'.

Originally Posted by MagnumD69
Back window zippers are the devil. -Mama

Mine back window is so screwed up... the teeth separate from the zipper behind the zipper so it is a huge mess.
Had the same issue, was referred from dealer to a 3rd party trim company - quoted me ~2 weeks for an appt, then a 3-day turn around to replace the whole zipper with a new one... guess they use some "magical" sewing machine that fixes everything but they have to pay the leprechaun tailor to use it... Turds.

Anyhow, I took it back home to wrestle it off, ended up using a big C-clamp and screwed it down right where the tooth was poking out the back of the zipper. Pressed it right back in and worked all summer. Now winter time and i saw a spot in the other corner that came "un-zipped" somehow about an inch long... FML. Wishing I had a hardtop...!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3rd Jeep with a soft top. One of the reasons I never remove my rear window. Yeah it gets scratched, but eventually no matter what you do it gets scratched. Lemon Pledge works great on the windows. Save your money on expensive cleaners.
I always spray my zippers with silicone spray. Another thing to try is Super Lube (liquid). If this stuff can't unstick it nothing can.
Good Luck!
Old 12-20-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FDHog
3rd Jeep with a soft top. One of the reasons I never remove my rear window. Yeah it gets scratched, but eventually no matter what you do it gets scratched. Lemon Pledge works great on the windows. Save your money on expensive cleaners. I always spray my zippers with silicone spray. Another thing to try is Super Lube (liquid). If this stuff can't unstick it nothing can. Good Luck!
I'll keep that in mind! Where can I find the super lube??

Quick Reply: Soft Top Back Window Zippers stuck