Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soft top to hard top

Old 03-30-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top to hard top

Things I need to know?
I have a hard top on now. Looking to go to a frameless soft top
I bought door surrounds and a tailgate bar. I know I need a header
Is there anything else I need to get or know when doing this
Old 03-30-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

True the header would be next.. frameless you say.. well the header (either plastic or metal) should fit into a pocket at the front of the fabric as it would rest on top of the roof/jeep. This would be the first thing that fastened down.. Unless it incorporates a sun rider option.

Once the hardtop has been removed (several brackets located at the base of the hardtop which connect to the body/frame of the jeep.. and let's not forget to remove the wire harness and windshield washer line. Assuming you have the freedom top.. the panels would be removed first stored then one can proceed to the rear portion of the hard top.

Here's where it can get tricky.. this is a big cumbersome top.. most tend to create a hoist/lift that allows one person to easily remove the rear section of the hard top. 2 door's are easier of course that the 4 door version.

Once this is removed and you said frameless.. I don't think the frameless setup requires the door surrounds.. moreover the soft top should have velcro straps which are tied down or latched in place according to the manufacturer's instructions around the roll bars.

You'll prob have a couple of plastic clips/straps which would be located towards the cargo area and are latched to the bed rail or around the exposed roll cage. These are used to taunt the top down once you have the header and sides in place.

Gl with your top.

Last edited by JeepersDigest; 03-30-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you guys think the smittybilt frameless top is just as good as the bestop. I'm only gonna run it during the summer in pa. So some rain in the early summer but not downpours all summer long
Old 04-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Darb24
Do you guys think the smittybilt frameless top is just as good as the bestop. I'm only gonna run it during the summer in pa. So some rain in the early summer but not downpours all summer long
Huge difference in quality between the two. The Bestop has better and thicker material, better and more stitching and a much much better header.

Michael @ Level 10
Old 04-17-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

After buying several tops I can tell you one thing. Its about the thickness and grade of the material, not the brand. If you are comparing bestop sailcloth to smittybilt denim, then obviously the sailcloth. There have been debates over bestops current quality controls and they are lasting no longer than a smittybilt or a rampage. With thay being said, sometimes there is just a preference in brand or there are features in one design that are better over another. Personally I just replaced a bestop on my yj that had a manufacturer date on it from 1996. The only issue was a ripped window and also I just wanted a new one. So quality of the old was great, but the new ones from the reviews said it was nothing like they used to be. I went with a smittybilt since it had the same thickness in fabric, same looks, oem style, but it came with tinted windows which I needed since I dont have ac. The difference in price helped as well, 200$ cheaper.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

How bout running a safari top and then deck cover ? Would it keep the rain out enough that the back seats would not be soaked ?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Former Vendor

How bout running a safari top and then deck cover ? Would it keep the rain out enough that the back seats would not be soaked ?
The deck cover won't do much for the seats. During a HEAVY rain, you will still have some blow by that will get sucked back into the cab. The cover will keep the majority of it out the cargo area, but you may have some pooling, and there for rolling into the cab during stops, etc. too.

Quick Reply: Soft top to hard top