Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soft Top to Hard Top Conversion

Old 10-18-2015, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top to Hard Top Conversion

Got my '09 JK with the factory soft top and I am considering going to a hardtop. For the two door, could anyone give me your best guess on how much this would cost. I'd want to leave the dealership with a new hard top and everything that would have come with it from the factory if I'd bought it that way. I think there's a different turn signal lever and a wiring harness but I'm not sure.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

your best bet would be to just find one on craigslist for cheap, to rewire it is expensive and not worth it imo, I run mine like that and it works fine
Old 10-19-2015, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^This. You'll spend a lot of money on just being able to use the rear wiper and defroster. My '13 2-door has a factory hard top and I don't really use those features. Used hard tops are everywhere and can be found at great prices.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sped
Got my '09 JK with the factory soft top and I am considering going to a hardtop. For the two door, could anyone give me your best guess on how much this would cost. I'd want to leave the dealership with a new hard top and everything that would have come with it from the factory if I'd bought it that way. I think there's a different turn signal lever and a wiring harness but I'm not sure.

In 2012 I asked the Dealer and they quoted me $3000.00
Old 10-29-2015, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard its right around $500 for a dealer to install the wiring and hose for the wiper and rear defrost; pair that with $2500 for a new top, and its right around $3000 combined. Or about $150 for the parts to do it yourself, but it is a bit of a tedious task.

Not sure how it is around your area, but used tops pop up for sale fairly often around me. Heck, I've been trying to sell mine off my '15, and I'm down to asking just a $1000 so I can get rid of it and reclaim the storage space (4dr and in Michigan, so doesn't help you... just citing myself as an example).
Old 10-29-2015, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sped

Well, this coming spring I may be going from hard top to soft top (probably a Twill Supertop NX). Will have a hard top for sale cheap that has never leaked. May need some touch-up paint for tree branch scratches though.

After 8 years I am just bored with the hard top and ready for a change.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-29-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hardtop wiring harness installation

I found the harness I need for my 2015 Rubi and intend on installing it myself. The MOPAR instructions are pretty simple but imply the vehicle's computer must be updated via a dealer network. Has any installed this harness themselves? Thanks in advance. Scott

Quick Reply: Soft Top to Hard Top Conversion