Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

soft top leak on side right above passenger

Old 03-22-2015, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top leak on side right above passenger

When it rains, my soft top will leak in my 2011 jk and it will get in that plastic "gutter" that the soft top lays on so if i hit a bump, go around a turn....it spills right in on my passenger. ...a good laugh but does anyone know why this might be happening.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure but it's real annoying...they did a recall on this problem but I took mine in and it still leaks.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Basically, it's because the soft top doesn't have any sort of tie down incorp into the design.. and as you've admitted.. the soft top just lays in the channel.. while with older Wranglers, the door surrounds have a channel which our tops fit into.. Trouble is.. the jeep still leaked.. Reasoning.. the water from the roof flows down and into the seal around the door.. then into the jeep..
In order to combat our leaks, I placed an L shaped weather stripping on the door surround, Mind you, we are running soft doors 24/7 so this idea may not work on all wranglers.. created a weather stripping that extends out the drip edge.. Yeah I know Jerry Rigged.. but it is working.

Last edited by JeepersDigest; 04-04-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi. I have OEM half doors with the same issue. Could you post some additional pictures?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDoubleD
Hi. I have OEM half doors with the same issue. Could you post some additional pictures?

Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming you're asking anyone to post pics of their setup.. As I stated above.. and this is only an idea which I hoping to perfect.. I would have prefed a dark color weather stripping over the white or cream color as offered by Home Depot..

The weather seal/stripping is double sided taped to the flat surface of the door surround.. Right between the roof line and the fabric door (when closed)

When the soft door is closed, this added weather stripping creates an extended drip edge that forced any water to flow out beyond the door itself.. if this weather strip wasn't there, any water would drip or drizzle down into the seal between the door and roof, then enter the cabin.. Oddly, the weird folded area forward of the bikini top which is open doesn't allow any water to enter the cabin..

I want Bestop or an alternative to create this type of design within their plastic tab edges which fit up and into the door surrounds.. granted this application would only be for those jeep that have the channeled surrounds which these plastic tabs flip/fit up into.

I guess I could alter this design, by flipping the channel up instead of down as seen in the first image.. what this would do would allow for more space between the doors and roof, because I'd move the weather stripping up and into the surrounds channel (closer to the roof line and not the door)

So if you have a door surround that allows the fabric to flip up and into the surround.. this application should work for you. granted this isn't very attractive.. but we've not had any sort of leak since this was installed. My guess, it's worth a try or at least a modification on your part to make this idea plausible.

I've actually contact jscherb (Jeff Scherb safari caps) in an effort to see if he was going to design something on his safari tops as a means of eliminating this leaking issue. What happen was, he went out and checked his Jeep only to find that the 014 etc jeeps have a channel which the roofline simply rest in and not flips into.. and I never knew this until Jeff said something.

Last edited by JeepersDigest; 04-04-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeep has a water leak diagnosis document that offers good insight into leaks and causes. May not help in this particular case but it is good info for those that may benefit.

You can find the pdf here
Old 04-04-2015, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Jeep life right?!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha...mine leaks and I don't worry about it. But I agree they shouldn't leak. Just not a huge deal to me.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the frame is lined up correctly where that little plastic slide locks the sunrider portion.
I found that if it's not lined up correctly, I get a leak. When I take the time to line it up right, it doesn't leak.
A little water never hurt anyone, but it still sucks.
Just noticed you have a 2011. Don't know if sunrider applies.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a video on this last year but check the gasket between the two sliders

http://youtu.be/x5tLGORwuv4

Quick Reply: soft top leak on side right above passenger