Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top passenger side window help

Old 02-21-2015, 06:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mwtrent
Actually you can see in the video I posted when I lift the rear of the window the sail panel is level.
You're right. I should have watched that again. But also in the video you can see how the back end of the window drops. Watch the bottom of the window and the body line as you walked the camera down it. Since the window is seated in the door surround, and your pins are engaged for the sunrider, and your header latches are latched fully (actually I never asked about that, they are first hooked and then the latch closed?), and your bows are attached to each other, and your passenger side is good, it must be a defective window or top.

Edit: I wonder if it's as simple as the stay strap being improperly installed on the driver side. Measure the distance between each bow above each window. Maybe even visually you can see one strap is wrapped differently than the other. Try pushing up on the rear bow on the driver side. Worth a shot.

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-21-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
You're right. I should have watched that again. But also in the video you can see how the back end of the window drops. Watch the bottom of the window and the body line as you walked the camera down it. Since the window is seated in the door surround, and your pins are engaged for the sunrider, and your header latches are latched fully (actually I never asked about that, they are first hooked and then the latch closed?), and your bows are attached to each other, and your passenger side is good, it must be a defective window or top. Edit: I wonder if it's as simple as the stay strap being improperly installed on the driver side. Measure the distance between each bow above each window. Maybe even visually you can see one strap is wrapped differently than the other. Try pushing up on the rear bow on the driver side. Worth a shot.
Defective window was my first guess. I'm gonna keep searching for an answer though. If the weather was warmer I'd take the whole top down and try again.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

I would still check those stay straps. They should wrap around the bows before being attached. I just think it is more likely a mistake like that would make it through QC than a improperly sized piece of fabric.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would still check those stay straps. They should wrap around the bows before being attached. I just think it is more likely a mistake like that would make it through QC than a improperly sized piece of fabric.
Straps are attached and looped around to the top of the bow and supporting that edge of the top nicely on both sides. All three fasteners are in place. That corner sail panel does sit a touch lower than the other side but only a fraction of how much the window is.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM
JK Junkie

Maybe the strap was too long. Is it possible to get a straight on pic of the rear to see how the bow looks side-to-side. I would try pushing the bow up on the driver side (I know the title says passenger but the pics show driver). You could also try just releasing the passnger side sail panel and see if that allows the driver side to go up. Maybe the passenger strap is too short.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quick update... Dropped the top and reinstalled everything. While I was there I measured the strap lengths and they were identical; checked all the bows and none were noticeably bent or deformed in any ways. Checked and double checked the corner sails for fitment and all was good and aligned with the tub rail with them sitting perfectly in the corners. Put the windows back in and still have the same problem. Time to take it in to the dealer on Monday so they can deal with it.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mwtrent
Quick update... Dropped the top and reinstalled everything. While I was there I measured the strap lengths and they were identical; checked all the bows and none were noticeably bent or deformed in any ways. Checked and double checked the corner sails for fitment and all was good and aligned with the tub rail with them sitting perfectly in the corners. Put the windows back in and still have the same problem. Time to take it in to the dealer on Monday so they can deal with it.
Yeah that is what it sounds like. Sorry I couldn't help you solve the problem but it is pretty much out of our control if it's a defective top. But it wasn't for lack of trying.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah that is what it sounds like. Sorry I couldn't help you solve the problem but it is pretty much out of our control if it's a defective top. But it wasn't for lack of trying.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll follow up after the dealership visit on Monday.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did we find out what's the cause or ect?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 21
Did we find out what's the cause or ect?
Sorry for the delay. I took the jeep on last Monday and they made me schedule an appointment for today. Anyways; took it in today and they figured out the window was stitched improperly. Service dept had to take a pic to prove something was wrong with it and get permission to replace it. New window was also placed on order as well. Not sure when it'll be in; hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Quick Reply: Soft top passenger side window help