Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

soft top tension cable

Old 11-26-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top tension cable

Alright guys, I tried searching first and didn't seen anything so I need some help. My driver side soft top tension cable snapped in half. Anyone know how to replace it? Been debating on purchasing a new cable if it's now a pain in the a** to do.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't had to do it myself but if this is the cable you are referring to it says less than an hour to install.

MOPAR 68067961AB - MOPAR® Driver Side Folding Soft Top Tension Cable for 10-15 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec
Old 11-27-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Ya that's the one I was going to purchase. I rather know what I am getting myself into or if I should just put my other top on.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Well it's only 2 wrenches on the difficulty scale. If it was me I would do it but hopefully someone who has done it before will jump in. Usually Qtec posts the instructions which is what I was looking for but unfortunately not for this item. If you do go forward, it would be good for you to do a write-up.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm JeepPackerGurl's fiance' and I looked at the top. Looks like the tension cable attaches somewhere inside the header bar (which is held together by some screws) and back to the rear window frame bar. Not sure if I need to seam rip the threads to get to it or not. It's too cold here to peel the top and work on it. Trying to find a heated garage and we get a write-up going. Are these tops sourced out or does Mopar make them?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepchief
I'm JeepPackerGurl's fiance' and I looked at the top. Looks like the tension cable attaches somewhere inside the header bar (which is held together by some screws) and back to the rear window frame bar. Not sure if I need to seam rip the threads to get to it or not. It's too cold here to peel the top and work on it. Trying to find a heated garage and we get a write-up going. Are these tops sourced out or does Mopar make them?
Bestop makes them. Like I said I haven't done it but it looks like in the picture the bracket is not attached to the cable and can be removed. I would then try threading the cable through without ripping anything. The kit may come with instructions even though they are not on Qtec's site. You may be able to attach the new cable to the old and just pull it through.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Bestop makes them. Like I said I haven't done it but it looks like in the picture the bracket is not attached to the cable and can be removed. I would then try threading the cable through without ripping anything. The kit may come with instructions even though they are not on Qtec's site. You may be able to attach the new cable to the old and just pull it through.
Thanks!

the cable feeds through the loop in the bracket and is held there by a crimp.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141127_134144.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	585859

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141127_134153.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	585860
Old 11-27-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie

Hard to tell but it looks like the bracket is just folded over and the screws clamp it shut. Maybe I'm seeing double but that's how it looks to me. I think if cutting and stitching were involved it would be harder than 2 wrenches. But again, I'm just guessing.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Bump to the top!

Quick Reply: soft top tension cable