Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soft top window storage

Old 04-13-2015, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft top window storage

When I got my JK (used) it only came with a hard top but was able to pick up a used soft top from a '15 earlier this year. So this past weekend I installed the soft top for the first time and I now have the question of what do with the side and rear windows when I lower the soft top? All the factory instructions say to just remove them and store them in a safe location where they won't get scratched. While that will work when I am lowering the top before I leave home, but what do you do with them when you are away from home?

My first thought is to roll them up and store them in the back of the Jeep below the folded down top. But I can see where that my risky if I am trying to keep my windows as scratch free as possible. I have also seen some bags that you can buy that have fabric you roll the windows between and strap to your jeep. Are these a good solution?

Sorry if this is newb question, but this is my first Wrangler and first time with a soft top.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The roll up bags all leave about 4" of the rear window sticking out on later year JKs. You can make your own or roll them up in blankets, putting a blanket between each window as well for a total of 4 blankets. I made my own from felt and a pool noodle and then made a waterproof bag for them.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using Bestop's window storage roll for the past 4 years without any issues. It protects the windows well and you can roll it into a small package for storage.

Like the following, but got mine from another forum member.
Bestop 42810-09 - Bestop HOSS? Window Storage Duffle in Charcoal For Bestop and Factory Zip Out Vinyl Windows - Quadratec
Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RodCyn
I've been using Bestop's window storage roll for the past 4 years without any issues. It protects the windows well and you can roll it into a small package for storage.

Like the following, but got mine from another forum member.
Bestop 42810-09 - Bestop HOSS? Window Storage Duffle in Charcoal For Bestop and Factory Zip Out Vinyl Windows - Quadratec
What year is your Jeep? Either your rear window sticks out or you have the smaller window. I don't know what year the window got wider but I would like to since I see this question asked a lot. When I researched storage for my '14 that is when I found out it was wider than the duffle.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
What year is your Jeep? Either your rear window sticks out or you have the smaller window. I don't know what year the window got wider but I would like to since I see this question asked a lot. When I researched storage for my '14 that is when I found out it was wider than the duffle.
I've used it on my 2010 2dr, and now I have a 2015 soft top, which fits just as well. (the back window is wider). They fit length wise into the carrier, then its rolled up.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RodCyn
I've used it on my 2010 2dr, and now I have a 2015 soft top, which fits just as well. (the back window is wider). They fit length wise into the carrier, then its rolled up.

Great to hear. That's the first time I heard the wider window actually fits. Many, many threads have stated otherwise.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Rampage 595101 since 2010 for my 2010 JKUS. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, later JK's rear window is wider so it won't fit.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:58 PM
JK Junkie

It was even pointed out in several of those threads how they don't show the rear window in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G68HKwAk1o0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G68HKwAk1o0
Old 04-13-2015, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told by my dealer not to take out the back window. Don't know why. It's scratched to shit now. I made a tube to roll them up and store them in. Some pvc pipe and end caps. Stores on the back ledge brhind the rear seat, but under the top when it's down. And it's solid to protect the windows. And it takes up less room than the duffle. I saw a DIY thread on here a while back and finally did it. I tried looking it up just now and couldnt find it.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put all 3 into a single blanket without any of them touching and roll it small enough to tuck up under a small bungee net. First time I take it off this spring I'll get pics of you want...

Quick Reply: Soft top window storage