Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soft top window storage

Old 04-14-2015, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrangled
Agreed, I believe scratches are inevitable, but I really don't want to develop cracks. My windows are 6 years old and in great condition. I really don't mind putting the effort into preventative maintenance.

Never had one crack.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the clover patch roll for my side windows, picked it up from someone on the forum last year, I just roll the rear window up and use the bungees or toss it in the back seat.

Plenty of scratches but no cracks.

The bungees for the rear are stretched so I'll have to pick up some new ones that maybe are a little smaller so it doesn't hang as low when rolled
Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Start rolling them at the stiffener. The stiffener goes across the roll rather than being rolled up.
Yep that's how I do it too!! Works well!!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Old 04-15-2015, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FDHog
First of all, this being my 3rd Jeep with a soft top, I accept the fact that no matter what I do, my windows are gonna eventually get scratched.
I never remove my rear window, I just roll it up.
i roll up my side windows and just chuck them in behind the front seats.
Once you accept this fact, It makes life much easier.
I rolled my rear window up and let it hang by the loops they give you i did it twice this week and I have width wide scuff marks in the middle of the window i did it has instructed roll inside with the tailgate bar still attached is there anyway I can get these removed? Can I leave the window down with the sunrider open?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffb1062
I rolled my rear window up and let it hang by the loops they give you i did it twice this week and I have width wide scuff marks in the middle of the window i did it has instructed roll inside with the tailgate bar still attached is there anyway I can get these removed? Can I leave the window down with the sunrider open?
That is why I don't roll mine up and hang it by the straps. Bestop makes a vinyl window cleaner but I don't know if that will get the scuffs out.

Bestop 11203-00 - Bestop® Vinyl Window Cleaner 8 oz. - Quadratec

Some guys just unzip the rear window and let it drop into the back, still attached to the tail gate bar. I don't do that either.

I drive with the sunrider open and windows installed all the time. Never had a problem.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffb1062
Answer to last question - yes (I do all year). Regarding the scuffs - you would think this would be a design issue we all could get resolved?! I have Plexus which can polish out scratches really well (give that a shot). Never roll up and use those straps - I read that warning online AND my Jeep salesperson told me the same thing upon delivery. I've read a lot basically confirming what one other person said on this thread : buy several felt blankets, clean the windows, then store rolled up in between the blankets (or laid flat) - otherwise expect scratches.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use the 2 straps that are intended to secure the top or sunrider down to hold my rear window rolled up and still attached. No scuffs or scratches and it can be held in a tighter roll. If your close to a military base and able to buy from the px, the wide elastic $.75 boot blousers work great for keeping side windows rolled up and keeping seat belts from slapping from wind.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the straps but had friend see a sleeve of felt so the strap is soft and fuzzy.

No scratches.

FD
Old 04-16-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is what I made for mine. Fairly easy but I never used a sewing machine before and my wife hates sewing. If your wife will do it for you then it's really, really easy. I had to google how to use it. Cut two long strips of felt. Folded each over to make 4 staggered ends. Inserted a small pool noodle into one of the folds and sewed straight...err, scratch that...across the felt at the noodle. The noodle prevents the windows from being too tightly wrapped at the beginning. Used 2 pieces of Velcro strap to hold it together when rolled. Made a bag out of waterproof nylon and stuck a piece of the leftover string in I had from my trek armor seat cover install. Never got a scratch and felt is protected from the rain.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowDuffle 01.jpg
Views:	1851
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	606610   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowDuffle 02.jpg
Views:	1783
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	606611   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowDuffle 03.jpg
Views:	1764
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	606612   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowDuffle 04.jpg
Views:	1790
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	606613   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowDuffle 05.jpg
Views:	1767
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	606614  

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-16-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Soft top window storage