Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spare key....

Old 02-27-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare key....

I went to have a spare key made today for my wife. Of course I drove her truck instead of the jeep, so after getting home it would slide into the key hole and ignition but that's it. No movement. So I drove the jeep back to the place that cut the key. Had another made and it worked! Kinda...it would unlock the doors and start the jeep....but after starting the jeep would die. Use my key it would start and run fine. Use the new cut key start and die. Over and over, any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikes07JK
I went to have a spare key made today for my wife. Of course I drove her truck instead of the jeep, so after getting home it would slide into the key hole and ignition but that's it. No movement. So I drove the jeep back to the place that cut the key. Had another made and it worked! Kinda...it would unlock the doors and start the jeep....but after starting the jeep would die. Use my key it would start and run fine. Use the new cut key start and die. Over and over, any suggestions?
You need a key with a chip in it most likely, and it will also need to be programmed to the ECU. You will need two working keys to program it, or locksmith or dealer if you lost one...
Old 02-27-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default yeh they forgot to tell you its 200 dollars

for a spare key lol serious
Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So no one can cut a key and steal your Jeep... That's why jacking rich cars is becoming a hot issue, they need the key from you to sell as a whole running vehicle
Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

I didn't think my key had a chip in it. Its got the fat oval shaped head. Same style that caravans had etc. If I can't get one cut cheaply,than I guess she ain't getting one.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Does your spare key look like the gray one in this photo? This one has a chip, but it still needed to be programmed into the Jeep's WCM..

Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Yep,that's it.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

I have a key(s) with no built in fob. Also I lost my main key, only have the spare. Manual locks/windows/no remote start. Would my keys be chipped?
Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Olskoolkool
I have a key(s) with no built in fob. Also I lost my main key, only have the spare. Manual locks/windows/no remote start. Would my keys be chipped?
Yep... If its the gray one
Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Olskoolkool
Any key that is cut to the lock will start the JK. It takes a recognized chip in the key to keep the engine running more than a few seconds.

Quick Reply: Spare key....