Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spare key....

Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info fellas. Guess I'll call a locksmith in the morning and see about getting another key.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Do I order one from the dealer and have them program it? Or can I give them my VIN and have it already programed? Either way works for me.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry Mikes07JK. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikes07JK
I went to have a spare key made today for my wife. Of course I drove her truck instead of the jeep, so after getting home it would slide into the key hole and ignition but that's it. No movement. So I drove the jeep back to the place that cut the key. Had another made and it worked! Kinda...it would unlock the doors and start the jeep....but after starting the jeep would die. Use my key it would start and run fine. Use the new cut key start and die. Over and over, any suggestions?
Did you tell the locksmith you wanted the key to be able to run your Jeep? I think locksmiths would know it was useless except for unlocking the Jeep and would have told you (I have a chipless spare for this purpose). If the locksmith knew what your intent for the key was and took your money anyway then they are probably a dishonest locksmith.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikes07JK
Thanks for the info fellas. Guess I'll call a locksmith in the morning and see about getting another key.
This thread talks about additional keys:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...in-key-294821/

Prepare for sticker shock.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

No worries olskoolcool. Sounds like we're in the same boat. I did not go to a locksmith earlier today,just Walmart because I thought it was just a normal key.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, do you have 2 original keys that start and run the Jeep? I may have missed that in your thread. If you do DO NOT go to the dealership.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

I do not have any originals. The guy who I got it from only had the one spare.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There's a really simple check for whether the Jeep is receiving the proper codes from the key or not: A red light on your dash. It's next to the gas gauge and IS NOT labeled. It's just a red light that comes on when you first turn on the ignition, then goes off. Unless you have an improperly coded key. And all Jeep Wrangler JK keys are chipped, or they will not work. Period. No exception.

And, BTW, sometimes the Jeep will get into a funk with a good key and start, runs a few seconds, then dies nonsense. If it does, check for that UNLABELED red light next to the gas gauge. If it's staying on, disconnect the battery for a minute or so (less will work but why hurry?), then reconnect and it will probably start. Has happened to me twice in 134K miles on my '07.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealership can make keys from your VIN if you do not have 2 keys. Just had a couple made for the daughter who only had 1 key and lost it. For the standard grey key cost was $112 for the key and $50 for the programing, and it did not matter if you have 1 key or 20 keys. The total cost to have it or them programed was $50. That is the price here in Lancaster Pa

Quick Reply: Spare key....