Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spare key....

Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the $7.00 CHP 46 transponder key from ebay work if I get it cut and then take it to the dealer?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There's a really simple check for whether the Jeep is receiving the proper codes from the key or not: A red light on your dash. It's next to the gas gauge and IS NOT labeled. It's just a red light that comes on when you first turn on the ignition, then goes off. Unless you have an improperly coded key. And all Jeep Wrangler JK keys are chipped, or they will not work. Period. No exception.

And, BTW, sometimes the Jeep will get into a funk with a good key and start, runs a few seconds, then dies nonsense. If it does, check for that UNLABELED red light next to the gas gauge. If it's staying on, disconnect the battery for a minute or so (less will work but why hurry?), then reconnect and it will probably start. Has happened to me twice in 134K miles on my '07.
When disconnecting the battery is the cure for the "funk" you mentioned, lifting up on the white fuse holder and reseating it should do the same thing without having to disconnect the battery.
Pulling up on the fuse holder (It's the J13 fuse) and reseating it will reset the Wireless Control Module, which sometimes freezes from static electricity.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When disconnecting the battery is the cure for the "funk" you mentioned, lifting up on the white fuse holder and reseating it should do the same thing without having to disconnect the battery.
Pulling up on the fuse holder (It's the J13 fuse) and reseating it will reset the Wireless Control Module, which sometimes freezes from static electricity.
Wireless control module? Is that for remote start? I don't have that.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Wireless control module? Is that for remote start? I don't have that.
The WCM is also part of the system that recognizes the transponder in the key.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The WCM is also part of the system that recognizes the transponder in the key.
Okay, good to know.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lorrel
The dealership can make keys from your VIN if you do not have 2 keys. Just had a couple made for the daughter who only had 1 key and lost it. For the standard grey key cost was $112 for the key and $50 for the programing, and it did not matter if you have 1 key or 20 keys. The total cost to have it or them programed was $50. That is the price here in Lancaster Pa
Just had thus done myself...paid $80.00 + tax (CDN)for key & programming. I thought that was steep, but after reading this, I guess I got a deal.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Of you lost one or more keys you might consider the added expense of reprogramming your Jeep. Take all the keys you own and the Jeep to the dealer and they can do this. Keeps the person who finds/took your key(s) from being able to use them to drive away with your Jeep some day. You can then have new additional keys made and programmed normally.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

If you have two keys that work check out;
http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showt...placement-Keys

If you have one try ;
http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/archi...hp/t-2348.html
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

I already had two gray keys but wanted a spare, so I bought one off eBay. Lowes cut it for free and I programmed it myself using sentry 2 key method.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Well from the sound of it I may be able to play dumb (not a stretch) and have an ebay key cut and take it in. If not I'll just have to pay the $$$ and program them myself after the dealership bleeds me dry. Lesson learned.

Quick Reply: Spare key....