Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spare key....

Old 03-23-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought 2 OEM MOPAR keys from a dealership on Amazon. I paid $150 for a set of real chipped keys which is less than the local Auto Nation Dealership charged.

I let the local dealership cut them off the known good working and worn key fob which was $15 for both.

The install bay programmed both of them with unique ID's in <10 minutes and no charge.

I also have a no chip key that I can use just to unlock in case of emergency etc.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorrel
The dealership can make keys from your VIN if you do not have 2 keys. Just had a couple made for the daughter who only had 1 key and lost it. For the standard grey key cost was $112 for the key and $50 for the programing, and it did not matter if you have 1 key or 20 keys. The total cost to have it or them programed was $50. That is the price here in Lancaster Pa
Were they able to cut/program the new keys with just VIN info, or did the Jeep have to be present too? I (my coworker) lost one of my original keys and me and my Jeep are in Korea. I really need to get a second key, so I was wondering if a dealer could make me a key with just my VIN info.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had to have a new key made a week ago. I did have to have the jeep physically at the dealership. They have to hook it up to a computer and program it and the key together. Cost me $300 for the spare. F'ing ridiculous, a spare wud hav cost me just about $180 on top of the original $300. It's so ridiculous it should be illegal. It's a key with a simple rf
transponder. It gives u that feeling u get when u see a bag of popcorn costs $8 at the movies.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
I just had to have a new key made a week ago. I did have to have the jeep physically at the dealership. They have to hook it up to a computer and program it and the key together. Cost me $300 for the spare. F'ing ridiculous, a spare wud hav cost me just about $180 on top of the original $300. It's so ridiculous it should be illegal. It's a key with a simple rf
transponder. It gives u that feeling u get when u see a bag of popcorn costs $8 at the movies.
Naw, I can live without popcorn at the movies if it comes to it, I can't live without my keys. That's why they can charge so much
Old 09-21-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn... with the prices the dealer is charging some of you guys for keys, I am starting to think I would be better off buying my own transponder cloner/programmer, they aren't that expensive and then I could "clone" my one key as many times as I want.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have bought 4 blanks off Ebay for my 2013 and 2014 jku and JKUR for $19.99X2 as and had my local key shop cut them. As long as you have two working chipped keys you can reprogram the new ones yourself. they come with instructions on how to program them. It has worked perfectly on my 13 sport and 14 rubicon. Hard to beat cheap chipped keys. I have them hid on my jeep in case I loose a key in the boonies. You do need two working keys tho to program them.

Key Blank Fits 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Jeep Patriot Wrangler Compass | eBay
Old 12-11-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

I had 2 no transponder keys cut so when we are out on the kayak we can get in the jk and not worry about ruining the key
Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Bringing back an old thread from the dead. A lot of helpful information. I just bought a used 2013 that came with 1 key went to the stealership and for 1 key it was gonna be 195 plus tax. Good thing I remembered to check here. Thanks guys
Old 05-28-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default keys

I have a 2015 sport and I work at a locksmith shop . a locksmith shop can cut and program key and sometimes if you get the keys on line they will cut and program as well. I hope that help
Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

If you look close enough there is a locksmith on ebay who sells the grey "transponder'" / "RFID" keys for a decent price AND, if you send him a hi-def pic of your working key he can cut them for you too. (You send him the pics first and he will tell you whethet or not he can cut them from your pics. If he says he can cut them he guatantees they will work.) He made (cut) and sold us 2 grey keys for my son's 2004 Wrangler for around $30.00. I had two working keys for it so I followed his instructions to program the new keys using the vehicle's ignition switch. The keys he sold us work perfectly.

That was a couple months back. Last week I had him cut 2 keys for my 2015 Willy's. One was the grey key, the other is just a plain, flat silver key with no plastic head cover. It is simply an "emergency entry" key I carry in my wallet in case I lock my keys in the Jeep. It will open the doors but not run the Jeep. I think total cost for these two keys was under $30.00 also. Oh... and I programmed the new grey one with the Jeep's ignition switch / technique, key works great.

I couldn't find a better deal anywhere.

Quick Reply: Spare key....