Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

spare key

Old 04-24-2014, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spare key

Is there a way to get a simple empty key fob? I still have my original two keys, It's just that both fobs are broken. On one the key broke out of the fob and the other the plastic loop, that holds it on to a chain broke. I just want to take the chips out of the old ones and place them into the new fobs. Or am I stuck paying out my ass for a new key?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phil0352
Is there a way to get a simple empty key fob? I still have my original two keys, It's just that both fobs are broken. On one the key broke out of the fob and the other the plastic loop, that holds it on to a chain broke. I just want to take the chips out of the old ones and place them into the new fobs. Or am I stuck paying out my ass for a new key?
Amazon search jeep key fob they are like $7bucks

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2138606686.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	548185

Last edited by stangmike1; 04-24-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ikeyless.com has anything you'd want or need, too.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:39 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ebay usually usually sells doubles and tripples at a decent price.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make at least 2 or 3. Buy them on eBay or Amazon. Get them cut at a locksmith or reliably key cutting station. Follow directions for programming new keys in your owners manual. You MUST have 2 original keys for this to work. Save your old damaged keys "just in case"
Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Keep in mind you can only have a max of 8 keys programmed at once (IIRC). Check the owner's manual to double check that.

I bought mine for $7 from ebay and got it cut for free at Home Depot. Then you just need to program them yourself.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
Keep in mind you can only have a max of 8 keys programmed at once (IIRC). Check the owner's manual to double check that. I bought mine for $7 from ebay and got it cut for free at Home Depot. Then you just need to program them yourself.
You can have ten in your series. Two originals and up to eight more. Until you've maxed at the tenth copy, any two can be used to program subsequent copies in the series.

This is different from having a "clone" made from one key. A key and it's clone can't be used to program further copies.
This is because each copy gets a unique number in the series 0-9. And you need two different members of the series to make a further member. But a true-clone of, for example, key-4 is a key-4. And you can't use two key-4s to make a key-5.

But clone-keys work fine in every other way.

Bottom line, you can program up to ten program-copies: 0-9
But you can have infinite program-clones made of any of your program-copies. (Made by an equipped locksmith)
Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice explanation Jiblet. We need to meet up sometime. I'm 25 mi south of Boston
Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I ordered two new shells. So now I might go and program a third just in case. One question about the clone keys. Well they set off the alarm when you open the door? Thanks again all.

Quick Reply: spare key