Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spark plug timing

Old 03-11-2017, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug timing

On my trail dash 2 there's a way to monitor spark plug timing--

Can someone please explain how to read that, and what is a good or bad range?

Thanks
Steve
Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedolce
On my trail dash 2 there's a way to monitor spark plug timing--

Can someone please explain how to read that, and what is a good or bad range?

Thanks
Steve
Spark plug timing is read in degrees and refers to the degree before top dead center the plug will fire. I'm not sure if the display is reading you're actually timing or if it is displaying timing advance. Timing advance is the adjustment made automatically to advance or retard timing with respect to engine RPMs.

As to your second question, without knowing what/how the information is showing on the display it would be hard to say what the acceptable tolerances are. If you have no codes and engine is running without issues it is a safe bet you're within them.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toolow262
Spark plug timing is read in degrees and refers to the degree before top dead center the plug will fire. I'm not sure if the display is reading you're actually timing or if it is displaying timing advance. Timing advance is the adjustment made automatically to advance or retard timing with respect to engine RPMs.

As to your second question, without knowing what/how the information is showing on the display it would be hard to say what the acceptable tolerances are. If you have no codes and engine is running without issues it is a safe bet you're within them.

Its reading timing advance. it shows up and varies dependin on engine load / rpm and throttle imput. It jumps arround a fair amount unless your just sitting idle at a stop light or something.

Quick Reply: Spark plug timing