Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spray paint match close to Billet Silver?

Old 05-29-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray paint match close to Billet Silver?

Got my half doors, arrived primed black, and looking to paint them to roughly match my Billet Silver '13 JK.

I'd like to spray paint them (rattle can style), I don't need an exact match - just something close will be fine.

I realize many people recommend keeping them black, but one of the reasons I like the half doors is because the upper edge of the lower door lines up nicely with the 2-door's tub, and this is emphasized when the front and rear lower areas of the body are roughly the same color. I'd like to avoid the patchwork look (dark top, dark lower door, light lower rear).

Has anyone been there / done that and can recommend a brand/color of spray to roughly match Billet Silver?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Check your paint shops. There's one around here that matches your paint and they put it In a rattle can for you.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Quadratec sells Mopar rattle can pain that will match.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

MOPAR 82400891 - MOPAR® Touch Up Paint 5 oz Spray Can - Quadratec

Use the code: SAHARAXRAY when you check out, I think its still active. Do some googleing on current Quad discount codes.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

I'm curious about your doors. Are they from Jeep or aftermarket?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-29-2014, 10:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they are mopar or a solid metal face, spend the money and have them sprayed professionally. Unless you plan on going through a number of cans and clear and wet sanding.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever paint your half doors? I'm in a similar situation. I have half doors that are red and I need to paint them. I either want Billet Silver (first choice) or black. I'm thinking about spraying with the color matched spray paint, but I'd like to see the results from someone else's attempt.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by puffy
I'm curious about your doors. Are they from Jeep or aftermarket?
Oh man, I been slacking on this thread... sorry for the late response.

I went with Mopar ones, after careful consideration (and a tax refund lol). Aftermarket ones came close but if I remember correctly I couldn't find any real metal ones (or at least quality real metal ones), and I knew I didn't want tube doors, canvas or plastic. By the time shipping was figured into it, the cost was close enough that I decided to just order the real Jeep ones which arrived at my dealer for no additional shipping cost.

Zero regrets.

Some have described half doors as having only an aesthetic advantage. I couldn't disagree more. Yes these were very expensive, but I absolutely LOVE them, more for their function than their aesthetics.

Aesthetics: I can't stand the "high door sills" trend of recent years, particularly prominent in Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge vehicles. Too aggressive for my taste. For summer mode I switch to half doors and soft top, and the sill line on the half doors flows beautifully into the tub in the rear, and looks relaxed, not aggressive. Wish I could run that year round.

Function: Where do I start??
- Standard door with high sills, I find it really uncomfortable and goofy feeling to lay my arm on the high sill. Needs to be lower. With the half doors, perfect with the uppers removed.
- Half doors without the uppers allows a convertible feeling because of the lower sill, even somewhat doorless feeling, without having to remove & store the doors
- Uppers are so light you can easily take them with you
- removing/installing doors much easier; the half doors are SO much lighter than full doors
- bonus on the 2-door, you remove (and find storage for) only 2 doors, not 4. Faster, lighter, easier.
- If you want to go completely doorless but fear a rain coming, you can pack lowers and uppers in the back and take it all with you. Try that with full doors. Especially easy on the 2-door.

I can't remember the figure but for my 2-door it was likely around $1300 for Mopar lowers, uppers, lock sets and interior trim panels, and you still have to paint them yourself. I did a sloppy job, using a rattle can with "hammertone" metallic texture that doesn't even match perfectly in terms of both color and texture. I consider that a feature. ZERO regrets.

Well ok only one regret - buying the interior trim panels. I like these doors metal and rugged and ugly. No use for the trim panels (paid $100 for the pair). For sale at a discount if anyone wants.

Oh and they do somewhat leak. I stuff a towel where the drip comes in. Whatever.

I never installed the lock sets either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep1.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	622908 Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep2.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	622907

Last edited by mostlystock; 08-27-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Broncorif
Did you ever paint your half doors? I'm in a similar situation. I have half doors that are red and I need to paint them. I either want Billet Silver (first choice) or black. I'm thinking about spraying with the color matched spray paint, but I'd like to see the results from someone else's attempt.
See response to a prior post. Decided to not worry about factory look and embrace the imperfection. It's a jeep.... I love it.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
If they are mopar or a solid metal face, spend the money and have them sprayed professionally. Unless you plan on going through a number of cans and clear and wet sanding.
......why?

Quick Reply: Spray paint match close to Billet Silver?