Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeaky brake pedal?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky brake pedal?

My JK has 4k on it.. and when i press the brake pedal it sounds like some wooden floor is going to drop on me .. seriously WTF is this.. I am guessing some spring.. but I have warranty.. let dealer deal with it? or ez fix..
Old 10-20-2010, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same issue on my '09 Rubi. My guess is the noise is coming from the brake booster. One thing i've tried... If you look under the dash where the brake pedal push rod goes into the booster, there is a rubber accordion dust boot. Grab the boot and twist it slightly back and forth to break it loose from the booster. This seems to stop the noise for a while. I need to make an appointment with the dealer to get this looked at. Hope when I bring it I don't get the typical (NPF) answer.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

Welcome to the club

I had it on my old JK. The dealer changed the disk and callipers under warranty for nothing...

I have it on my second JK sometime...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Mine does this too. I'v been meaning to look around and see if there was anything I could blast with WD-40 to fix it. It's annoying, but not as annoying as leaving it at the dealer for the day (it's my only means of transportation).
Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BOOST
My JK has 4k on it.. and when i press the brake pedal it sounds like some wooden floor is going to drop on me .. seriously WTF is this.. I am guessing some spring.. but I have warranty.. let dealer deal with it? or ez fix..
Let the dealer worry about it. It can be a pain but if you cause damage, then you are out of luck on future repairs. Hopefully you have a good dealer!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
Welcome to the club

I had it on my old JK. The dealer changed the disk and callipers under warranty for nothing...

I have it on my second JK sometime...
LOL squeaky brake pedal on the INSIDE..yes let's replaces rotors and pads on the outside.. WTF
Old 10-20-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Me Too.....Intermitant Squeek

When cold, then goes away. Bet just a drop of WD40 where the brake pedal attaches to the booster will fix. Will post up.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've tried the WD40 idea when I first started hearing the noise but no luck. It is a really annoying noise but I think the ultimate fix is a replacement brake booster. Now I have the infamouse tailgate clunk/rattle going over bumps. Guess what I'm doing this weekend?! ;-)

I've owned several Jeeps over the past 25 years, and I'm very used to noises. For the most part squeaks/rattle/growning and clucks are the nature of the beast, but I still end up chasing them down and illiminating them. If I have any success, I'll post my fixes in this thread.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I listened more tonight... it almost sounds like it's the pedal it's self, where it connects to the arm that comes down.. and the more u press the louder that squeaky floor, it's bugging me lol
Old 10-21-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Boost, did you try twisting the boot that goes over the booster plunger? Mine started making noise even worse today. Between the squeak in the pedal and the tailgate rattle, my JK sounds like a bucket of loose bolts. LOL!

I twisted the boot tonight and that got rid of the pedal squaek for now. I'm trying some black tape around the tailgate striker to see if that helps the gate rattle.

~Tony

Quick Reply: Squeaky brake pedal?