Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter?

Old 04-19-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter?

So I've been having this really bad rpm related whining noise. Higher the rpms louder the noise. Now from listening as someone hits the throttle I'm almost certain the whining is coming from the starter. Thing is, I don't have any starting issues, it hasn't left me stranded or not turned over first try, and it's not making any grinding noises. Just a simple, loud whining noise.

I know it's not the alternator as it's clear that's not where the noise is coming from and I don't believe it's the power steering as it's been doing this for a few weeks now ams hasn't seem to get any worse.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

By the way, 2012 jk rubicon manual trans
Old 04-19-2014, 11:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

How did you determine that it's the starter? Obviously, once the Jeep starts the starter disengages from the flywheel (had a Volkswagen Karmen Ghia that didn't do this once way back when and the result wasn't pretty, LOL). It seems premature for a '12, but are you sure it's not the throwout bearing? This video might help ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWlK3sVXPyk
Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Check power steering fluid at least?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think the noise is coming from the starter. As was mentioned earlier, the starter motor disengages after the engine starts. If not, it would fail quickly. I suspect that you have an issue with your power steering or clutch; check your power steering fluid and maybe the throwout bearing.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

When you push in the clutch dies the sound change?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

To be honest after I posted this I really wish I could have gone back and deleted it considering how dumb it sounded lol. I checked power steering fluid and it's good, noise is there whether clutch is in or out, my TOB makes noise every once in a while and I know what that sounds like. I honestly think it's a bad pulley or there's mud and what not in one of them.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

sounds like a bad idler pulley

Quick Reply: Starter?