Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Starting problem ?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem ?

Hi Everyone ~ Has anyone had this particular problem ? My 2008 JK just makes one click when I try to start it...it's done this almost since I bought it (new), but very infrequently at first. I was able to put the key back into 'off' position, then try again and it would start. Initially I thought it was the battery, so replaced the battery. I now have about 75,000 miles on it and it has gotten worse...more frequent and won't start by turning key to off position and trying again. I knew it wasn't the battery (electrical problem...yet another battery's only a few months old), so I went to the next logical thing...fuel. I pumped the gas a few times and it started right up. I now have to do this every time it happens, which is quite often now. Anyone have any idea what this could be ? Thanks in advance ~Dan
Old 09-20-2015, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do a search for transmission range sensor.
It' pretty common. Try moving the shifter, either to neutral, or just to drive and back, should start right up.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto or manual? I have an auto and sometimes I have this issue, just have to move the sifter from park to neutral and back and it starts.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had that problem and added a second ground and it fixed the problem! Alternator bracket to the battery!
Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sigman
I had that problem and added a second ground and it fixed the problem! Alternator bracket to the battery!

This helped for me also on my 2009.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone ! Finally took in to shop (I've a lifetime warranty); they're thinking its the redundant ground issue...if it doesn't work, I'll tell them about the transmission fix... ~D Oh, it's automatic, Wrangler428
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lvisman96
Hi Everyone ~ Has anyone had this particular problem ? My 2008 JK just makes one click when I try to start it...it's done this almost since I bought it (new), but very infrequently at first. I was able to put the key back into 'off' position, then try again and it would start. Initially I thought it was the battery, so replaced the battery. I now have about 75,000 miles on it and it has gotten worse...more frequent and won't start by turning key to off position and trying again. I knew it wasn't the battery (electrical problem...yet another battery's only a few months old), so I went to the next logical thing...fuel. I pumped the gas a few times and it started right up. I now have to do this every time it happens, which is quite often now. Anyone have any idea what this could be ? Thanks in advance ~Dan
i hope they are able to fix it, but just a heads up, your jeep has no carb so all pumping the gas peddle is going to do is reset your oil change indicator back to 100%. key to on position, engine off and pumping the gas 3 or more times is the reset procedure.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sigman
Me too.

Also brought it to dealer at 66000 mi while under extended warranty. They replaced the starter but still had the same problem.

After I added the second ground , haven't had a problem starting since.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1395.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	625481
Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

+1 for adding an additional ground to the bolt on the alternator
Old 09-30-2015, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I have placed a second ground to the alternator, and am hopefull that this fixes the "click, no start" problem. Only time will tell. I do know that a good ground is every bit as important as a good positive connection, and this seems to ground directly to the engine block, so it may do the trick, if the issue is a ground one. The only other thing it really could be is the transmission range sensor itself, which is not as easliy dealt with.
Thanks for the info and the pics.

Quick Reply: Starting problem ?