Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering box replacement on 2009 JK

Old 04-22-2016, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Check your steering intermediate shaft " . . . roger that, although I'm not sure what constitutes a pass\fail inspection. This doesn't account for the sheer amount of leaking from the gear box though.

Also, last year I had Firestone do a front end alignment and they mangled the tie rod end adjusting sleeve, so I bought a new one had them use. This week while on the rack at another shop, they reached up and wiggle wiggle wiggle the tie rod and and said "that shouldn't be like that".

Ok fine, I presume that the sleeve needs to be re tightened if it isn't buggered somehow by driving with the slack in it. That might account for some of the knuckly sounds I've been chasing.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose I can re clean the gear box, lube the intermediate shaft and seal again and listen\watch. I'm prepping for an trip to rough country in May, so I want to be ahead of the curve on things that really need to be corrected and replaced.

The new shaft is cheaper than a refurb gear box, and your suggestion is basically free.

Also, last year I had Firestone do a front end alignment and they mangled the tie rod end adjusting sleeve, so I bought a new one had them use. This week while on the rack at another shop, they reached up and wiggle wiggle wiggle the tie rod and and said "that shouldn't be like that".

Ok fine, I presume that the sleeve needs to be re tightened if it isn't buggered somehow by driving with the slack in it. That might account for some of the knuckly sounds I've been chasing.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
What he said. Check this before you replace any other component. You can eliminate the clunk by squirting some grease into the boot on the intermediate shaft. Common issue on '07 - '09 JKs.
I used 5th wheel grease. It took about a year of adding it every few months but the clunk is completely gone. I guess it took a lot of grease to work. More grease then I was comfortable adding at one time.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do decide to go with a gearbox, its incredibly straight forward. You will need a pitman arm puller, but that's as complex as it gets. Let me know if you decide to do it and i'll post up step by step how to get it done.

Quick Reply: Steering box replacement on 2009 JK