Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

steering stabilizer tension/advice

Old 10-24-2014, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the OP should find another dealer. They're charging you a lot of money for something you probably don't need.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Sounds like it is working fine. If you were shot there would be no resistance moving it in or out. "Upgrading" the steering stabilizer is one of the biggest waste of money people do on their jeeps. The factory one is sufficient. I would find a new dealer as that is about a $20 part and takes about 10 min to swap out.
This is exactly right. I just had to replace mine when the seal gave out at 40,000 miles or so. The stock unit is $65 online, but I got an HD Teraflex unit for $54 and replaced it in less than 30 minutes.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a rip off by the dealership. If you truly feel like it needs to be changed I would consider the procomp one from 4wheel parts. It's just slightly an upgrade from the stock one however it has a lifetime no questions asked warranty replacement. Bought it just for that. Bent one and just walked into the store and was handed a new one. Only around $35

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-25-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjmjk
Yes you should be able to compress it by hand. There's not a lot of pressure to them
Thanks, I'm gonna go put the stock one back on then!

Quick Reply: steering stabilizer tension/advice