Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

steering stabilizer tension/advice

Old 04-12-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering stabilizer tension/advice

Hello,
Dealer told me I needed a new steering stabilizer ($330), so I figured this would be a good way to get my feet wet with working under the jeep. I never have noticed any problems/bump steer with my jeep, but I took the end that is connected to the tie rod? off with some effort and prying, and it seems pretty stiff. I can pull it out with one hand with significant effort, even more effort to push it back in. Does this sound about right? I put it back on for now and it still drives/turns fine.

1) Is this the right tension that should be on there?
2) The Tie rod freely "swivels" up and down, I swiveled it down so I had room for my socket on the nut, do I have to make sure to swivel it back up or does it not matter?
3) The other end that of the stabilizer seems really stuck on there, I could not move either nut or bolt, and there is not a lot of room on either side for my breaker bar (and not a lot of leverage while laying on my back). Any advice in general on breaking free things in tight spaces? I got some PB penetrating catalyst, just spray it on there for a day and get my arms stronger with the open ended wrench?

Thanks a lot,
malloc
Old 04-12-2014, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I need to crack a bolt I use my 2 1/2 pound hammer . And I would upgrade the SS from stock
Old 04-12-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Sounds like it is working fine. If you were shot there would be no resistance moving it in or out. "Upgrading" the steering stabilizer is one of the biggest waste of money people do on their jeeps. The factory one is sufficient.

I would find a new dealer as that is about a $20 part and takes about 10 min to swap out.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock stabilizer at Quadratec is $69.99. How in the hell can the dealership charge $330? I'd call them out on that.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Sounds like it is working fine. If you were shot there would be no resistance moving it in or out. "Upgrading" the steering stabilizer is one of the biggest waste of money people do on their jeeps. The factory one is sufficient. I would find a new dealer as that is about a $20 part and takes about 10 min to swap out.
. Except when dealer wants 330$ for junk !! But yah that's not a waste of $$ ????
Old 04-13-2014, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Not sure what you are trying to say?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

And the stock SS is junk ! Mine was gone in 30.000km ! One I got now still works at 200,000 km? But I guess it's no better then stock eh ? Lol
Internet people
Old 04-13-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I have one with 145,000 miles on it working fine. Most fail because people that don't know how to drive bang the shit out of them on rocks.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been banging the shit out of the whole jeep for 200.000km now ! Lol

Last edited by Mark73; 04-13-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malloc
Hello,
Dealer told me I needed a new steering stabilizer ($330), so I figured this would be a good way to get my feet wet with working under the jeep. I never have noticed any problems/bump steer with my jeep, but I took the end that is connected to the tie rod? off with some effort and prying, and it seems pretty stiff. I can pull it out with one hand with significant effort, even more effort to push it back in. Does this sound about right? I put it back on for now and it still drives/turns fine.

1) Is this the right tension that should be on there?
2) The Tie rod freely "swivels" up and down, I swiveled it down so I had room for my socket on the nut, do I have to make sure to swivel it back up or does it not matter?
3) The other end that of the stabilizer seems really stuck on there, I could not move either nut or bolt, and there is not a lot of room on either side for my breaker bar (and not a lot of leverage while laying on my back). Any advice in general on breaking free things in tight spaces? I got some PB penetrating catalyst, just spray it on there for a day and get my arms stronger with the open ended wrench?

Thanks a lot,
malloc
If you really want to get your feet wet, take the steering stabilizer completely off and drive it for a week. If there is no noticeable difference on the highways.... I am on my fourth one and I'm going for JC Witney next. On long drives they are nice, but city driving, eh.

As for the SS bolt is all you have to worry about. The nut has a welded flange, so not to spin. I just double up/ interlock on (boxed/open ended) wrenches for leverage to loosen it up.

Ed

PS; Can't believe the dealer ship people at times.

The other 3 stabilizers were smashed in my on going training

Last edited by JK08MCS; 04-13-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: steering stabilizer tension/advice