Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stock bumper winch mount question

Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stock bumper winch mount question

I'm looking to add a hidden winch to my stock bumper setup and been checking out old threads on how to do it with the harbor freight universal mount plate. I like how that looks and all, but have a question. Has anyone used the Rugged Ridge Spartacus Front Bumper Winch Plate instead of the HF one? I know it says it's for the spartacus bumper, but looking at the install instructions it looks like it could fit with the stock bumper. I know the stock bumper would need to be cut to fit it, but how much?

I'm curious because I like how the RR plate uses the mount points of the factory tow hooks for added support. I'm sure the HF plate is sturdy enough, but you can never have too much support with a winch.

Eventually I'll get a bumper, but that'll probably be a few years down the road, and given how much I love mud and how often I wish I had a winch on the last jeep, I figured the first mod should be a winch this time around. And I want to do the hidden option vs the mount that sits on top of the bumper because I like that it looks factory when hidden like that. Plus I plan on adding a light bar to the stock bumper so I need the winch down low so there's enough room for the lights.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
I'm looking to add a hidden winch to my stock bumper setup and been checking out old threads on how to do it with the harbor freight universal mount plate. I like how that looks and all, but have a question. Has anyone used the Rugged Ridge Spartacus Front Bumper Winch Plate instead of the HF one? I know it says it's for the spartacus bumper, but looking at the install instructions it looks like it could fit with the stock bumper. I know the stock bumper would need to be cut to fit it, but how much?

I'm curious because I like how the RR plate uses the mount points of the factory tow hooks for added support. I'm sure the HF plate is sturdy enough, but you can never have too much support with a winch.

Eventually I'll get a bumper, but that'll probably be a few years down the road, and given how much I love mud and how often I wish I had a winch on the last jeep, I figured the first mod should be a winch this time around. And I want to do the hidden option vs the mount that sits on top of the bumper because I like that it looks factory when hidden like that. Plus I plan on adding a light bar to the stock bumper so I need the winch down low so there's enough room for the lights.

---
Were you ever able to figure this out?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Rock Hard Stock bumper winch plate for $165. This also utilizes the stock tow hooks (while leaving them usable as tow points). I have a Superwinch 9500 mounted on it. I haven't needed to use the winch yet but it seems wicked sturdy.

Quick Reply: stock bumper winch mount question