Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stock jk

Old 10-27-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock jk

Hey everyone I'm new here and was curios on how far off road I can take my stock jk. I wasn't planning on any too serious muddin or rock crawling just maybe some open fields on the property of my friends, really just something to bump around have fun and get her dirty!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Only one way to tell, just go find somewhere to test your limits.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

pretty much as far as you want to go. they are capable even in stock form.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool That all Depends

What year and which model? Is it a JK or a JKU? Is it a Sport. Sahara or Rubicon? If it is a Rubicon JK or JKU, you will be able to go just about anywhere you want. If it is a Sahara, it will come with 18" All Terrain tires and a limited slip rear differential which will allow you to go on most fire trails, deep sand (when aired down) but stay away from moderate to deep mud and big rock gardens. The Sport model comes in several "builds" with different capability levels, making it difficult to predict what it might or might not do. Then there are such issues as engine, 3.8 or 3.6, and ring and pinion gears which range from 3.21 (excellent mileage - not so good off road), 3.73 (good mileage and good performance off road) and 4.10 (fair mileage but excellent off road) always those pesky
trade-offs.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
If it is a Sahara...stay away from moderate to deep mud and big rock gardens.
Curious...why?
Old 10-27-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Start easy and build your confidence and skill. A stock jeep is still amazingly capable.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRJKUS
Start easy and build your confidence and skill. A stock jeep is still amazingly capable.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
+1 Being new myself to JK I've slowly built my confidence and skill.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Whoa, was I confused. You've asked this question twice in two different forums and when I saw this post I was puzzled that it didn't show my response. Since it adds to what others have said, I have copied here to ensure that you see ...

It should hold up fine. But you're not driving a Baja racer. It can break if you go racing around that field and hit something super bumpy particularly hard. And a puddle can hydrolock a motor in a few seconds of carelessness. A spinning tire from too much skinny pedal can find traction on a rock and quickly break an axle, so be careful. And it can get stuck. Be prepared with recovery points (stock hooks are fine, if equipped), a tow rope, and a buddy to tow you. Your stock Jeep will amaze you given the right driving.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

You can do all the stuff you're asking about. I've run blue trails stock no problem. Just be smart and I recommend having someone with you... You an go on YouTube and watch times of stock wrangler videos. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1039431447.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	581937

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1978380484.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	581938
Old 10-31-2014, 01:07 AM
JK Newbie

Join a local Jeep forum and club. Attend organized trail runs, start off attending easy rated ones, it will help you fast track your learning curve.

Fellow Jeepers are great people that will help you learn. Don't be ashamed to let them know your skill level.

Always carry a shovel, good jack, tow strap, and a full cooler (beers for your new friends that just saved you ass).

Quick Reply: stock jk