Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stock rubi tires

Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepersDigest

Let me clarify my statement.. I'm not confuse as to why jeep is doing this.. I'm confused as to why jeep is using inferior tires on their Rubicon.. Tires that are meant for off road/mud trails more than street travel.. The tire that should be installed on the Rubicon, should be the something with a bit more traction on wet roads.. mud terrains are not mean and even dangerous for wet highways.. which we encountered soon after the purchase of the Wrangler.. losing control and ending up (safely) in a farmer's yard in PA. We hate these tires on the road.. But off road.. they are designed correctly. In essence, I would rather see BFGoodrich All Terrains on the Rubicon, As a stock or standard option upon purchase.
I put almost 40k miles on my stock rubicon tires before installing my lift and 35's. I drive 60 miles round trip to work everyday, half of those are highway miles. I never really had any problems with the tires. But that is my experience with them.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default it all depends how you drive

if you are hard in corners , if you drive on bumpy roads and dont maintain front end . Maintenance ,Air pressure , Rotation . Ive had bfg mud tires last upwards of 70 ,000 miles on vehicles. Id say the deal sounds reasonable . Depending on if you want after market tires later that will not use those wheels then you could also throw them on craigslist to get a few bucks back . I kept my tires and wheels. some sell them . I feel you never know , if you want to toss them on again for some reason . Or alternate not to wear out another set of tires and
wheels . : i think they are ok for most all driving conditions seeing they are a mud tire . Make sure they are not already cupped
or they will continue to get worse
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8801.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	603497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7909.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	603498  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-27-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikep2189
What do you guys think $350 rims and tires good or bad decision?
I think one needs to determine or achieve a balance when mixing/matching wheels with tires.. Say.. extreme off roader, should use 15'' or 16'' and Load C rated tires.. Air down etc.. While other should use 17'' or 18'' and load D or better. Adjust tires according for road use. This doesn't mean that the 17'' or 18'' setup shouldn't be used for off road.. My choice would be a simple well made wheel 16'' or 17'' with a well designed tire.. If this means I'll have to pay $350 for that particular wheel.. then I may select something different. At one point, I believe the simple Cragar steel wheel (black/D hole) was around $100 per wheel..

Here's a thought.. Let's suppose that you purchase the wheel and tires separately.. Has anyone attempted to balance just the wheel.. or to see if it is out of round or out of balance before the tires are installed?. then there's the tire installation.. what if the tire can't be balanced one way yet removed installed from another point then acquire that balances.. or are wheels and tire that much off..

Last edited by JeepersDigest; 03-27-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepersDigest
I think one needs to determine or achieve a balance when mixing/matching wheels with tires.. Say.. extreme off roader, should use 15'' or 16'' and Load C rated tires.. Air down etc.. While other should use 17'' or 18'' and load D or better. Adjust tires according for road use. This doesn't mean that the 17'' or 18'' setup shouldn't be used for off road.. My choice would be a simple well made wheel 16'' or 17'' with a well designed tire.. If this means I'll have to pay $350 for that particular wheel.. then I may select something different. At one point, I believe the simple Cragar steel wheel (black/D hole) was around $100 per wheel..

Here's a thought.. Let's suppose that you purchase the wheel and tires separately.. Has anyone attempted to balance just the wheel.. or to see if it is out of round or out of balance before the tires are installed?. then there's the tire installation.. what if the tire can't be balanced one way yet removed installed from another point then acquire that balances.. or are wheels and tire that much off..
I think you should pick what tire size you want and then pick a wheel that works well with it. JK's are heavy enough, especially after they are modded and even more so with the JKU, that they do OK with D and E rated tires off road so I wouldnt let that be the sole determining factor on what tire I pick. I would go with 15/16 up to 35's, 17 for 35's to 40's+. That way you have enough sidewall for offroad use. My only gripe with the stock KM1s is they didnt have a lot of sidewall and chunked easy on rocks. Other than that they were great tires and performed well offroad.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was just curious how many miles people are getting out of their stock rubi tires. The BFG MTs. My 15 came with the 16inch steelies, but I have a guy willing to sell me his used take offs tires and rims for $350. They have more than half the tread. So it's a steal, but not sure if I want to drop the money or just hold out to get some that are bigger. Although I would come out of the deal with the 17 inch rims too.
I'm coming up on 40K on my stock rubi tires, very high percentage is highway. Tires are fine, could probably get another 10K or more out of them. Haven't had any issues in the rain either. If you like the wheels you're getting with them (you didn't say which year Rubi they're off), then seems like a pretty good deal. I'm going to replace mine soon with 33" Duratracs most likely, which is going to run more that $1000.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

I got 52000 out of my original tires. I might have been able to get another 5000 out of mine but the right rear had worn worse than the other 3. I wheel a little but love the look of a stock Rubi. I put BFG's back on.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles are on the tires? Sounds like one hell of a deal.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

I was just curious how many miles people are getting out of their stock rubi tires. The BFG MTs. My 15 came with the 16inch steelies, but I have a guy willing to sell me his used take offs tires and rims for $350. They have more than half the tread. So it's a steal, but not sure if I want to drop the money or just hold out to get some that are bigger. Although I would come out of the deal with the 17 inch rims too.
I bought my Rubi MT used like your offer was worried about the winter they had bad ratings.They were non issue they were great and we had bad winter.I was told they had 40000 km still going
Old 03-27-2015, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

They still have at least 60% tread, and yeah I was thinking it was a pretty dang good deal too. Just like to get some feedback from people who have ran them. Also has anyone replaced the 16inch steelies and sold them? And how much were you able to get back out of them? I just now put a whole 100 miles on them.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Run2Ga

I'm coming up on 40K on my stock rubi tires, very high percentage is highway. Tires are fine, could probably get another 10K or more out of them. Haven't had any issues in the rain either. If you like the wheels you're getting with them (you didn't say which year Rubi they're off), then seems like a pretty good deal. I'm going to replace mine soon with 33" Duratracs most likely, which is going to run more that $1000.
I'm currently at about Approx 55000 km with my use and previous owner still going

Quick Reply: Stock rubi tires