Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strongest damper to stop death wobble?

Old 11-20-2015, 02:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99

Exactly. It never went away. You are managing it.

And you haven't had it since the hydro, right?
No i fixed it and continued to run no stabilizer. It was fully gone. I added hydro when i went to 41.5.

You need to fix your shit and stop saying you cant. Think about what your say as it makes zero sense. Realize how many vehicles run solid axles and don't "manage" death wobble. If it wobbles you have shit parts.

Last edited by Maertz; 11-20-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2. Fix the problem, don't get mad when the band-aids keep falling off, figuratively of course. Unless your axle is actually falling off, then I'd probably get mad. There's a good write up for diagnosing death wobble. A properly maintained front end won't inherently have death wobble. Worn or loose parts create death wobble. Your JK is no more special than the rest. I'm lifted, bigger tires but with proper geometry and never had a wobble from stock till now. I also replace worn components when I need to.

Last edited by AirJordan613; 11-20-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well like you said yours kept coming back even after you fixed it each time. That's exactly what happens with me. Even did the bolt upgrade, etc. Goes away, then comes back. You finally went hydro and now it's gone.

I have asked countless random stock JK owners of earlier years (07, 08, 09) about whether they have ever experienced it and the answer is yes every time. This is not due to shit parts. This is due to shit design. If you didn't need to worry about it you wouldn't need to have a heavy duty dampener.

I am not some kid with a Jeep who doesn't know a wrench from a vagina. I was an ASE certified tech, have a degree or two in mechanical physics and can fix a lot of things. I love my Jeep but anyone with a brain knows their design and build quality is garbage in some areas. Go back a few years and every other thread was about death wobble. It can be extremely hard to eliminate completely. You couldn't do it either. And it's not your fault it's ****ing hard to eliminate because the design and OEM parts are ass.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
X2. Fix the problem, don't get mad when the band-aids keep falling off, figuratively of course. Unless your axle is actually falling off, then I'd probably get mad. There's a good write up for diagnosing death wobble. A properly maintained front end won't inherently have death wobble. Worn or loose parts create death wobble. Your JK is no more special than the rest. I'm lifted, bigger tires but with proper geometry and never had a wobble from stock till now. I also replace worn components when I need to.
I know the write up very well and have done it and have gotten it to go away. But like you said A PROPERLY MAINTAINED FRONT END won't inherently have DW. That's what I have been doing. And the second something gets loose, it's back. The initial shake is the shake that leads to more problems. So, I want a stabilizer that keeps that from happening when something eventually is less than perfect.

It's no secret that there's a massive design flaw behind this.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

My wife is now the primary driver. When it was me, I knew what to do and when to do it. But when I disappear for days on business and my wife is driving it, she can't stay on top of it. So I need a back up plan which is a better dampener.

Also I think I left out something important. I live in California. Our roads are terrible. I hear we have the worst roads in the country. Perhaps it is a bigger problem here?
Old 11-20-2015, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

had an 06 tj and now a 2012 jk. have never had a DW issue.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Do you know what death wobble is?

Pretty sure if your wife experienced it she wouldn't agree to drive it again.

Bump steer is typical of all solid front axle vehicles if that's what you are experiencing.

If it actually is shit your pants death wobble then take it to a shop (not a dealer) since you have no idea what you're doing. The jeep design is fine but it requires properly maintained components like any other designs out there. Are all your ends, bushings & ball joints original?

If you don't want to fix the problem then buy a full PSC hydro kit & be the first guy running hydro on a stock street driven jeep.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Go through dampeners every 6 months for years.
RC's dual setup? Half the work so they should last twice as long, right?
Old 11-20-2015, 05:22 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by nthinuf

RC's dual setup? Half the work so they should last twice as long, right?
Agreed. It seems logical.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Planman's thread last fall when I got death wobble and has been fine since then. I use a Teraflex VSS stabilizer with it because of my tires being slightly off balance. Definitely want to fix before masking though.

Quick Reply: Strongest damper to stop death wobble?