Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strongest damper to stop death wobble?

Old 11-20-2015, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Fox ATS would hide your symptoms the best without actually fixing your problem.

The ATS has a "through" design. Not to be confused with their regular one.

I think the real problem should be addressed though. Especially if your wife is driving it.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if it is true dw it needs to be fixed because something is causing it. But I also think it may not be, because a steering dampener wouldn't be able to hide true dw for 6 months at a time. On my rig my steering stabilizer is still good and I've had dw twice. Once from the trac bar and once from the drag link and tie rod.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99

Exactly. It never went away. You are managing it.

And you haven't had it since the hydro, right?
Full on DW couldn't be stopped by 5 stabilizers.

It sounds like the beginning of an issue so catching it now will avoid a scary situation.

Have you upgraded the hardware to the bigger bolts?

Have someone turn the stwering wheel while you inspect everything joint.

I found a shimmy was due to what I thought was a tight track bar bolt but it wasn't torqued all the way.

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 11-21-2015, 03:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012, and had to replace my ball joints. I replaced all the stock front end parts with after market parts. I have to grease the joints now at every oil change, but it is worth it. The stock track bar was shot at 20,000, and I had the proper size bolts in since it was almost new. Those plastic ball joints, and rod ends don't hold up. Fiat cheaps out on this stuff. Just like all the other car makers.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

We're all missing key info here so let's start from the top.

Mileage?

What has been replaced in the front end?

What's original??

When did you torque your bolts??

Have you checked the torque on those bolts?

Let's start there before the sarcasm shit show continues?
Old 11-21-2015, 05:05 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by spartan99
Well like you said yours kept coming back even after you fixed it each time. That's exactly what happens with me. Even did the bolt upgrade, etc. Goes away, then comes back. You finally went hydro and now it's gone.

I have asked countless random stock JK owners of earlier years (07, 08, 09) about whether they have ever experienced it and the answer is yes every time. This is not due to shit parts. This is due to shit design. If you didn't need to worry about it you wouldn't need to have a heavy duty dampener.

I am not some kid with a Jeep who doesn't know a wrench from a vagina. I was an ASE certified tech, have a degree or two in mechanical physics and can fix a lot of things. I love my Jeep but anyone with a brain knows their design and build quality is garbage in some areas. Go back a few years and every other thread was about death wobble. It can be extremely hard to eliminate completely. You couldn't do it either. And it's not your fault it's ****ing hard to eliminate because the design and OEM parts are ass.
You dont need a heavy duty dampener so yes it can be fixed. Your making assumptions on my rig, when it came back it was sometimes a year later and it was other worn parts. I wheeled hard then so replacing a part here and there every year was no biggie. My hydro choice was not from dw at all and had i still had small tires id still run no stabilizer. Apparently they just hand out ase because after reading your responses i view you as a a descendent of helen keller. Do people struggle with death wobble? Yes some do, but mainly because they dont know what there doing. If death wobble was on all jeep and just "managed" i doubt theyd sell so many the "design" for a solid axles is simple. It may seem less common on trucks and such as they are stronger. Many jeep people experience it more commonly as they put large tires on stock small axle. Parts wear faster... Maybe you need a ifs hummer?

Last edited by Maertz; 11-21-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-21-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz

You dont need a heavy duty dampener so yes it can be fixed. Your making assumptions on my rig, when it came back it was sometimes a year later and it was other worn parts. I wheeled hard then so replacing a part here and there every year was no biggie. My hydro choice was not from dw at all and had i still had small tires id still run no stabilizer. Apparently they just hand out ase because after reading your responses i view you as a a descendent of helen keller. Do people struggle with death wobble? Yes some do, but mainly because they dont know what there doing. If death wobble was on all jeep and just "managed" i doubt theyd sell so many the "design" for a solid axles is simple. It may seem less common on trucks and such as they are stronger. Many jeep people experience it more commonly as they put large tires on stock small axle. Parts wear faster... Maybe you need a ifs hummer?
Oh no....a Hummer reference.

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 11-21-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_B
..... Bump steer is typical of all solid front axle vehicles .....
Not necessarily.

Along 3 years, with 4" lift on 35"s, the JKUR has zero bump steer, even when diagonally crossing slow-bumps at 30mph. I can take both hands off the steering wheel and the Jeep keeps a straight line.

I had checked that everything is properly tightened 4 times by now.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-21-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
Not necessarily. Along 3 years, with 4" lift on 35"s, the JKUR has zero bump steer, even when diagonally crossing slow-bumps at 30mph. I can take both hands off the steering wheel and the Jeep keeps a straight line. I had checked that everything it properly tightened 4 times by now.
I agree, my jeep stays true as well. What I was trying to say is that he'll feel imperfections in the road a lot more with a vehicle with 2 solid axles. And seeing as his front end is worn out he'll have a hard time keeping it straight.

Quick Reply: Strongest damper to stop death wobble?