Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suspension loud over bumps

Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Oh, and I had a thunk from my driver side over really rough roads for a long time. Turned out to be a nice, stubby Snap-on screwdriver that someone left behind the dash!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Switch shocks between sides to check your theory. A lot of bushings down there, too. Pull and prod and probe and see if something wiggles that shouldn't.
Excellent idea mark!! I'll switch the shocks.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Oh, and I had a thunk from my driver side over really rough roads for a long time. Turned out to be a nice, stubby Snap-on screwdriver that someone left behind the dash!
thanks for this. Now I know why I heard some rattling this morning on my way to work. I forgot I left my Snap-On ratchet and extensions in the passenger seat pocket last week!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

New bilstein shocks all the way around. Though seemingly less frequent I still hear this thud/clunk over bumps... This is getting extremely annoying...
Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have/had a similar clunk on mine. I had the jeep up wheels off and felt everything up and found my tie rod and steering stabilizer both rotate quite freely and when turning my wheels left it would clunk because its rotating back and forth slightly. Turning to the right it would clunk slightly because the steering stabilizer was doing the same thing. It was what i was feeling in the drivers seat. Im assuming this is somewhat normal and some people just hav sloppier attachments than others. If im wrong let me know!
Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Yeah it's not really something that happens during a turn. Just over bumps...
Old 05-03-2014, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Sorry i forgot to include this.
First, the turning the wheel diagnosis is in the context of doin the "planman" test. On road it wud do it me 9 times out of 10 on a speedbump. 9 times out of 10 of those where when simultaneously gently turning left. It may be just that. I also checked the bj's last time i was under it and no vertical play. Im gonna check again.

My mind has been telling me.. There's no way a vehicle manufacturer would allow a vehicle to be produced for the public with such an obviously worrisome symptom. But after talking to some people and trying to research on here without asking too many questions, it sounds to me like it's a fact of life with a Jeep. (Which doesnt bother me at all, i love the jeep unconditionally) The rotating action is normal and necessary during flexing, but also can produce a noise/feel.
If i am wrong in thinking or anyone has any other ideas on this, please let me know.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had a clunk over bumps too. When I took doors off today it was even more noticeable. A few days ago I saw a post where someone was dealing with clunking. Culprit was worn out sway bar bushings (I think). Haven't had a chance to check it out but plan on it tomorrow. Guess I have a few more things to check from what I've been reading.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a clunk over hard bumps. Noticed the other day that my steering stabilizer was leaking. Replaced it with a new one. I notice much tighter steering, better handling, and I have not heard the "clunk" yet.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

My clunk came from the frame side control arm bolts that were loose. Also figured out a trick today to tighten the driver side JKS quick disco lower stud. I put the snap ring pin in the hole, then snugged up a pipe wrench on the whole stud so when I used a socket on the nut side the whole thing couldn't rotate. Worked much better than last time, where I bent a few small screwdrivers trying to hold the stud from turning.

Quick Reply: Suspension loud over bumps