Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

These things are pieces of crap.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Pilot

Originally Posted by spartan99
We have a Honda Pilot at work and it gets beaten on hard and has been abused for 50k miles and not a peep of problems. Nada. Zilch. No leaks, no nothin'. Driven by 40 different people and by a different person every day and I'm certain no one ever really checks the fluids etc each day and I'm certain it's driven hard all the time, and it's like a brand new car.
Ya, nothing ever goes wrong with them either. Either suck it up or trade it in and stop bitching

"This engine has 78,000 miles 90+% highway. There is no reason a Honda engine
needs to be rebuilt at this mileage level.Maintenance Minder service has been followed This a defective engine but Honda America and local dealer deny there is a problem with this engine."

"They told me the knocking was due to piston adjustment and honda was aware of it. Now less than a month my engine light is on. I have not been happy with this pilot. We owned a 2006 pilot with 60,000 miles and had no issues. The quality on 2009 is bad."

"Totally amazed that this very expensive, brand new car burns oil like my Chevette from high school."

"We trade our 2004 pilot with the new 2009 Honda Pilot last June 24, 2008 and we travel from Texas to San Francisco California on July 12, 2008 and before going back to Texas I check the oil level and it went down to 1/2 in the oil dip stick I drive it still going to Las Vegas to El Paso Texas and stay there overnight the next morning before starting the engine I check the oil again there is only 1/4 oil left in the dip stick. I brought it to the dealer and they just change the oil and said that they will observe it again and there are more problem when I show it to them the Monroof window stop working (they replace the motor) and the corner paint in the front bumper is chipping off..... "
Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with you . And just think , we the tax payers bailed out this company !!!
This is my 3rd Jeep . Love jeeps . But build quality is sub par ..... full stop .

that's the facts

Originally Posted by spartan99
All good dude. Yes you touched a nerve because it's getting old that people are overwhelmingly okay with subpar build quality. No wonder my JK's junk- people will defend the Jeep to no end. People shouldn't be defending Jeeps that 1) have DW that Chrysler pretends doesn't exist 2) transmissions that can't handle pulling the weight of itself 3) transmissions that can't tow to the stated towing capacity w/o overheating 4) Chrysler won't let you fix that issue w/o POSSIBLY voiding the warranty, I could go on.

Why are so many people okay with this stuff? I really don't get it.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Do you guys who complain about power or towing test drive vehicles prior to purchasing them? Do a freeway blast at WOT?? Ever reserach the vehicle specs and performance stats? Besides the lack of torque- the short chassis, low vehicle weight and high center of gravity combine to nominate the JK as the last vehicle on earth you want to pull anything with.

I started having the HOT OIL warning appear after the recall during some light off roading. Called the dealer and they indicated they would install a trans cooler if it needed one but couldnt say until they looked at it. He was aware of the issue however. There obviously having a temp issue.

Both my pumkins leak but so have the 40 truck axles Ive owned before them too.

I havent had any other issues and feel its a pretty good vehicle overall especially considering its design intent, certainatly yes underpowerd but Ive owned a TJ before and knew what to expect.

Last edited by vegasoutlaw; 09-20-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmmm....I bought my wife a New 2009 Honda Pilot and the transmission went out going down the highway and did $7K worth of damage and it only had 625 miles on it......they replace the transmission and I sold it!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
I work on Pilots professionally, I wouldn't be caught dead in one. They have the same problems as any other vehicle. I've got 50,000 miles of ABSOLUTE trouble-free miles on my JK. So your shit rant is totally out of my experience....Bad JK, bad Pilot; it's the same old vehicle shit, some get a good one, some get a bad one. IF YOU ARE SO UNHAPPY, GET YOUR HONDA. Remember- the Honda might well be a piece of shit too....
You're right. All vehicles have exactly the same reliability records. Jeep isn't any better or worse than any other make. And anyone who thinks that Wranglers have more than their fair share of problems is just a whiny little bitch.

Nobody's saying [INSERT BRAND] is perfect, but Jeep is definitely less reliable than most.

I don't see the problem in stating--publicly--that Jeep should build a more reliable product. The "grab your ankles and take it like a real Jeep owner" argument is ridiculous.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Nobody's saying [INSERT BRAND] is perfect, but Jeep is definitely less reliable than most."

And I knew this going into it, which is why the lifetime warranty is what sold me on this purchase. But wow... in college I took my Tercel to 170k w/o any problems. Ever. And my ugly but awesomely useful and reliable Previa go to 240k. Had it for 100k miles... never a problem. That was my experience with cars. Old, ugly Toyotas that I beat the shit out of but just never never quit. Then I get this brand new Jeep and it's like wow... really? I knew they're not great, but death wobble, burning transmission, spontaneous fires... kinda funny when you think about it.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have almost 70K miles on my jk and the only problems Ive had were my fault from being a little crazy with it wheelin.

Think about it. We beat the hell out of these things, these jeeps take more of a beating than any other vehicle on the road. IMO they are built very well and last a long time concidering everything we put these jeeps through. You cant sit here and rag on jeep man. They make a vehicle more capable of doing anything off road better than any other manufactuer. now ya if you drive it like a sissy and dont bother taking it and playing im sure you will have no problems with the jeep at all. But thats the price you pay in the world of off roading. "you play you pay"
Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

But, again, like I've said several times already, I baby it!

I should apologize though for upsetting anyone with my post. Didn't mean to be a debbie downer and piss on anyone's parade at all. I'm just sayin'

Anyway, that's all I have regarding the topic.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Everyone knows that jeeps come poorly made. We buy them for fun and not dependability or reliability. Heck I am sure TruDelta undercounts Jeep problems because owners fix them instead of visiting the dealership. That said my transmission survived 3000 miles (2000 after the "HOTOIL" non-recall).

-- Pete
Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

sounds like somebody needs a minivan for his needs and tampon too!!!!

Quick Reply: These things are pieces of crap.