Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Threw a Rod. Replace engine or bail out?

Old 08-14-2015, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are the original owner you're covered under lifetime power train warranty provided you had all the factory recommended maintenance services completed. These engines hold together if they're maintained and not run low on oil or coolant. They will spin rod bearings easily if run low on oil, that's what your dealer is assuming. Hold their feet to the fire.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of the required inspection and never got it. Therefore this isn't covered.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

Try and find a used motor as others have said. Your Jeep looks like it's easily worth the cost of a engine swap, just have to stay away from the dealership for this.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Chitownpete
Try and find a used motor as others have said. Your Jeep looks like it's easily worth the cost of a engine swap, just have to stay away from the dealership for this.
Good advice. There are plenty out there, try some of the V8 conversion outfits and see.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BocaBlaze
So I threw a rod last night and blew my engine on my 2008 JK with only 53000 miles.

Dealer says $7000 for a new motor. Even if I can get it done for only $5000, it's a lot to put into an '08.

What would you guys do?
IF you are handy, you might want to consider a Hemi swap...
Good luck with whichever road you choose!

Each part is just under 20 minutes

PART 1
Hemi JK: V6 to V8 Swap | Truck Tech | PowerNation TV - Full Episodes

PART 2
Hemi JK: V8 Swap Completion | Truck Tech | PowerNation TV - Full Episodes

PART 3
Hemi JK: Mid-Arm Articulation | Truck Tech | PowerNation TV - Full Episodes

PART 4
Hemi JK: Rock Ready | Truck Tech | PowerNation TV - Full Episodes

PART 5
Hemi JK: Payoff | Truck Tech | PowerNation TV - Full Episodes

Last edited by Almost There; 08-16-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:03 AM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Jeep Speed Shop in Cotati do a lot of hemi swaps and sell there old engines on craigslist.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks everybody! I decided to have a local shop put in a Jasper remanufactured engine. It's a little more than what I could have found a used motor, but I figure at least I have a warranty. Used just makes me nervous, never know what you'll get.

So I guess I'll be back on the road in about a week or so. Lessons learned.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

I suggest that you do an internet search on something like Jasper engines reviews to see whether they do a good job. Remember that they and other bulk rebuilders have to use the core engines they receive and because the price point is important, they have to re-use as much as they can of the used stuff.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've had bad luck with the jasper rebuilds in the past. The rear main seal has leaked on 3 of the 4 motors I got from them. Number 4 is a rebuild and it's still in the garage. They are supposed to clean up the block and there was a piece of a head bolt left down inside the block when I got it back. It's a rare motor to where I got the one back that I sent in.

So watch the rear main for leaks.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing happened last summer to my '07 with 53k on it. Dealer said no oil, looked like it had never been changed. BS! I had even checked the oil 50 miles earlier. I was on vacation and didn't want to deal with it so I traded it in, but that engine was crap and because it was pre-Fiat it had no extended warranty.

Quick Reply: Threw a Rod. Replace engine or bail out?