Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Old 09-21-2016, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Friends!

So my electronic throttle control light )Z( came on a week ago, so I took it to shop so they could pull the codes.

P2135 - TPS Sensor Voltage Correlation.
P0221 - OBD-II Trouble Code: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Range/Performance.

I did some research on the forms and YouTube then troubleshot the TPS with a voltmeter. The wiring harness read a solid 5 volts both from the switch and the signal wire. Then I reconnected the harness to the throttle body and tested the TPS and with the throttle closed it read 0.90v and open 4.5v then I slowly opened and closed the throttle and it didn't indicate a jump in volts during the process. From the research I have done all these readings are within tolerance and indicates that there's no issues with the TPS. From further research some people say to clean the battery connectors and replace the PCV which I did. Other's state that they replaced the spark plugs and that worked. Haven't tried that yet.

Not sure if this would be the cause however, I recently replaced my E-brake lever due to a spring failing in the lever. I adjusted the E-brake at the wheels after installing the lever because it seemed like it wasn't engaging with the proper amount of force on the lever when parked. The reason I bring this up is because the ETC light didn't start illuminating until I did this which seems really odd. I would think the e-brake light or the traction control light would come on but neither do. Is it possible the e-brake needs to backed off a smidgen to prevent the ETC light from coming on? Could it possibly be a power distribution problem due to the e-brake? Any input is much appreciated thanks!

Last edited by puppetmaster; 09-22-2016 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)