Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

is this the throwout bearing going bad?

Old 08-27-2015, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this the throwout bearing going bad?

Hey, all! I was hoping someone could let me knowif this is my TOB on it's way out. At first thought it was just engine tick because I always get that after an oil change at the dealership, but it got worse and drowns out the tick. Anyway, link to video below.

https://youtu.be/i0A_3mBlccQ

So, what's the diagnosis, Dr. Jeeps?

Thanks!

Edit: So based on the sound going away when clutch pedal pressed instead of the opposite I'm thinking now that it's not TOB. Input shaft perhaps? It just occurred to me that I changed the fluid a few weeks ago in tranny (no, i wasn't dressed in drag, haha) and ended up putting in something that claimed to meet requirements. I think it was Valvoline's stuff, IIRC. Anyway, going to throw in the Redline that I have and see if that helps. I didn't like the feel after the Valvoline anyway so doing this is kinda alreay on the list.

Still, if anyone knows for sure from the video please chime in!

And then now I'm seeing discussions where they say light clutch pressure making it go away is TOB. Man, does anyone really know what's going on out there?? haha, i kid...

Last edited by igobytony; 08-27-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: because jeep. and learning. i think.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed just because I'm interested in answers...my guess is your tob is about to eat it real soon if it hasn't already
Old 08-27-2015, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kfast24
Subscribed just because I'm interested in answers...my guess is your tob is about to eat it real soon if it hasn't already
yeah, based on what i've read on Jeep forums that's what's up. :/ not how i'd choose to use the Jeep fund, but you've got to do what you've got to do.
i read somewhere that the noise going away when pressing the clutch meant that it was the input shaft, but that wasn't for a JK.

i imagine soon we'll either get the answer from someone smarter than me Jeep-wise, or told to hit search button by someone who is, well, maybe also smarter than me! haha
Old 08-28-2015, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

its the throw out/release bearing.

Mine just got replaced under warranty yesterday along with the slave cylinder. Took 3 dealers and 15 visits total before I found a dealer that knew how to diagnose and agreed to replace the parts. I was chasing Chrysler for over a year on this problem before it got resolved.

Coincidentally, on my Corvette I was having issues shifting into reverse, thought it was the slave, flushed the clutch fluid, no difference, changed the tranny fluid then noticed a new noise in the tranny after the fluid change corrected the reverse issue. Only I'm guessing on the Vette is the input bearing, makes a similar noise now but when I release the clutch half way up in gear only. Not with the clutch out in neutral like a throw out/release bearing would.

If youre not under warranty, don't buy the mopar oe bearing, get a good quality aftermarket one instead. If Chrysler would install non mopar parts I would have supplied them my own bearing to install, I have no confidence that this newly installed bearing will last any longer the original bearing did (15,000 miles or so tops) but I went through warranty because funds are limited right now and I wanted to prove a point to the one dealer service manager who kept passing it off as "normal" jeep noises and told me I am wasting his shops time.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, Giggitty! I guess I'll just take it in if it keeps up and see what the stealership says.

Quick Reply: is this the throwout bearing going bad?