Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Time (not mileage) intervals between engine oil change

Old 11-19-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time (not mileage) intervals between engine oil change

Hi,
I accumulate quite a low mileage on my Jeep (2011 Rubi) as my commute to work is very short (lucky ). So I am not reaching recommended mileage for oil changes (be it 3K or 4K miles) even within 6 months. Should I wait to reach the recommended mileage or go ahead and change every 6 months? Or maybe less than 6 months ?

thanks!
Old 11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by armor
Hi,
I accumulate quite a low mileage on my Jeep (2011 Rubi) as my commute to work is very short (lucky ). So I am not reaching recommended mileage for oil changes (be it 3K or 4K miles) even within 6 months. Should I wait to reach the recommended mileage or go ahead and change every 6 months? Or maybe less than 6 months ?

thanks!
Chrysler wants it done at least every 6 months regardless of the mileage. It's ultimately your call.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

I have always been told 6 months. That's what I do on my truck. It only sees about 6-7k a year.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Your short trips are hard on the oil, and engine.
Change it at 6 month intervals so you start out with fresh oil each cold and warm season.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Im in the same boat. I change in spring and again in fall. I have always done that even when I put more miles on then I do now. Now I work from home and do 50ish miles a week with shopping and stuff.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

I change it every 6 months regardless of mileage. My wife has a short commute of 3 miles and she drives the jeep.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup 6 months, oil continues to breakdown from the contaminants even when the engine is not running.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noxian
Yup 6 months, oil continues to breakdown from the contaminants even when the engine is not running.

The oil change interval on the JK is set for 8,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Your short trips are hard on the oil, and engine.
Change it at 6 month intervals so you start out with fresh oil each cold and warm season.
I agree with Ron. Since you live in SoCal the 6 months is probably OK but the short trips are extremely severe on the oil. You simply don't spend enough time at operating temperature to boil off the condensation and blow-by fuel etc. If you can, a nice 30 plus minute drive once a week would be a good idea. Repeated short trips are killer on the oil. For anyone in a climate that actually has a cold winter that has repeated short trip duty cycles, I would change even more frequently. Three maybe four times per year.

Does your OCI warn you to change oil?

Originally Posted by walc
The oil change interval on the JK is set for 8,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
Not true, there is no setting either miles or time-wise. There is a complicated proprietary algorithm that computes multiple parameters discussed in other threads. The 8,000 miles (6,000 in older models) and 6-month periods are the extreme end of the drain interval range allowed for warranty purposes.

The manufacturer recommends following the OCI but never to exceed the mile/time period.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Not true, there is no setting either miles or time-wise. There is a complicated proprietary algorithm that computes multiple parameters discussed in other threads. The 8,000 miles (6,000 in older models) and 6-month periods are the extreme end of the drain interval range allowed for warranty purposes.

The manufacturer recommends following the OCI but never to exceed the mile/time period.

You are absolutely correct.
Sorry, I posted misinformation.

In any event, the JK's have an oil change indicator warning/reminder light, which is based upon the algorithim.

Quick Reply: Time (not mileage) intervals between engine oil change