Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tires, tires, tires

Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what I am about to ask has been asked 1000 times before, I am sorry for the redundant question. I have a 2009 jk unlimited. This fall I will need new tires. The most off-roading I have done is some dirt roads in Vermont. I would really like to go on the beach where I live on Long Island. My goal is to get a aggressive looking tire at the largest size without having to get new rims or a lift. I see many pictures and have read countless posts about c class and e class tires. I guess I am suffering from paralysis from over analysis. I wouldn't mind having a wider tire and it installing spacers. I have looked at the Goodyear duratracks, nitto's, and Mickey Thompsons Atz radial. I guess what I am asking is some guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also be buying 5 tires so the spare would have to fit on the stock tire carrier. Thanks again.

Last edited by jjmmagoo; 08-14-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I imagine some of the first advice you get will be to search this forum. Tons of threads that will help you.

That said, I'll add that using the stock carrier will most likely keep you at a 33" tire. Many people run 35" on stock carriers and say it's OK, but I know mine made my heart race whenever I hit a bump. Lots of rattling and shaking. Sounded like any bump could be the last before the mount tore away from tailgate. My spare is now where the back seat was and I'm much happier.

I'm sure many will tell you 35's on there will be fine. I do have Nitto Mud Grapplers, so I am on the heavy side.

Also, I believe you can do 33's with no lift/trimming, while 35's will require some. I have a small body lift and cut fenders with mine.

I'm no pro so I won't go on much. Most of what I'd tell you is stuff I read on threads here recently so my best advice would be to search around here more. Sorry, I know that's the last thing a thread starter wants to hear. I wish I could help out more. Best of luck!

Big Truck: No Little Truck, we can't go there!
Jeep: Silly truck! I am a Jeep!
*goes there*
Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would go with 285/70R17 Duratracs
Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by igobytony
I imagine some of the first advice you get will be to search this forum. Tons of threads that will help you. That said, I'll add that using the stock carrier will most likely keep you at a 33" tire. Many people run 35" on stock carriers and say it's OK, but I know mine made my heart race whenever I hit a bump. Lots of rattling and shaking. Sounded like any bump could be the last before the mount tore away from tailgate. My spare is now where the back seat was and I'm much happier. I'm sure many will tell you 35's on there will be fine. I do have Nitto Mud Grapplers, so I am on the heavy side. Also, I believe you can do 33's with no lift/trimming, while 35's will require some. I have a small body lift and cut fenders with mine. I'm no pro so I won't go on much. Most of what I'd tell you is stuff I read on threads here recently so my best advice would be to search around here more. Sorry, I know that's the last thing a thread starter wants to hear. I wish I could help out more. Best of luck! Big Truck: No Little Truck, we can't go there! Jeep: Silly truck! I am a Jeep! *goes there*
Thank you! I know I have to do my homework. I have read the threads. I just figured it would be best to be simple minded and just ask. Thanks for your advise.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

What about having a 35" on the factory tire carrier with only 15psi? Wouldn't it be lighter? Fifteen psi would get you to a gas station to air up if you didn't have a comp. on board.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the psi measures the pressure of the air against the inner walls of tire (or something like that), not the weight of the air. And since air is pretty light I don't think it'd make a difference. I'm no scientist though!

Big Truck: No Little Truck, we can't go there!
Jeep: Silly truck! I am a Jeep!
*goes there*
Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by DrakesJk
What about having a 35" on the factory tire carrier with only 15psi? Wouldn't it be lighter? Fifteen psi would get you to a gas station to air up if you didn't have a comp. on board.
The 255/75 R17 Duratrac's would be my recommendation. Light weight, will fit your wheels without spacers, and are priced pretty good. They are also one of the best rated all around tires ever made.

wow.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 08-14-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Forget the metric measurements. I want my tires to read 35x?x18
Old 08-14-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Ditch the 18" wheels and get some 16" or 17" More choices and cheaper rubber.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Ditch the 18" wheels and get some 16" or 17" More choices and cheaper rubber.