Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gasket for differentials

Old 11-20-2009, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket for differentials

Hey guys,

I'm going to change the fluid in my diffs and remove the covers for examination. Do you use RTV sealant or a gasket when you put it back together?

Thanks!
Micah
Old 11-20-2009, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally....I use RTV, and probably will only ever use RTV.
However, there is the Lubelocker available which is a reuseable gasket and many many people swear by it. Choice is yours
Old 11-20-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

We have drain plugs on these axles. Gray RTV only. NO need for LubeLockers. You shouldn't be pulling the covers for anything.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Getting gears done and inspecting afterwards is out of the ordinary, not done everyday. Once the gears are installed and checked afterwards, then it really shouldn't need "re-usable" gaskets. Again, IMHO, what I would do...

If chunks are floating, the r&p is done, and pulling the cover won't do anything since you're going to need a new set. For regular maintenance, pulling the drainplug is sufficient.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LubeLockers are easier, faster and work AT LEAST as good as RTV. Much less chance of "installer error."
Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Never hurts to pull the cover and inspect, i did at 30,000 miles, i used a lubelocker gasket as well, once again its not needed to be done often, but if you think you need to pull them and inspect its a very easy job to do.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TAMU Jeeper
Never hurts to pull the cover and inspect, i did at 30,000 miles, i used a lubelocker gasket as well, once again its not needed to be done often, but if you think you need to pull them and inspect its a very easy job to do.

You don't NEED to pull your diff covers when you change your fluid...but the again, you don't NEED to lower your tire pressure before you go wheeling.

That doesn't mean that it's not a good idea.

If you decide that taking the covers off and cleaning out your diff with brake or carb cleaner when you change your diff fluid is something that you'd like to do, then a lubelocker will probably save you some frustration...and definitely save you some scraping
Old 11-20-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer to see whats going on in there, re-check my backlash and what not...however I also installed my own gears so I just wanna keep checking to be sure, little paranoid maybe, but at least I'll know
Old 11-21-2009, 04:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I use Lubelockers. Not only are they less hassle if you decide to remove the cover (I do at alternate lube changes), but they also have a way of "resealing" if the diffy cover is struck. After wheeling Moab this past summer, I had a slow seepage that was leaving pavement stains. By the time I left Tucson it had completely stopped.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

I HATE RTV. I always make a mess and it takes me 3-4 tris to get it right. I will be getting the lube-locker when I do my next check on my diffs.

Quick Reply: Gasket for differentials