Torque converter replacement cost

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    JK Newbie wolfpack2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    58

    Default Torque converter replacement cost

    So I bought a 2008 JK Sahara automatic 4 door last month with 42k miles on it. Less than 500 miles later, and I am getting the transmission "shudder" that has been discussed often on this forum. When going up hillsat low rpm's, it feels like the transmission wants to shift but just can't quite figure it out. It feels like I am driving over rumble strips.

    My Jeep obviously doesn't have the lifetime warranty, so I was wondering - How much is this going to cost me to correct? Has anybody on here paid for this repair?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    JK Jedi Master ronjenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,490

    Default

    Sometimes the torque converter shudder can be fixed with a software update. Have you looked into that?
    08 Rubicon Unlimited
    Auto Transmission

  3. #3
    JK Newbie wolfpack2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
    Sometimes the torque converter shudder can be fixed with a software update. Have you looked into that?
    The dealership told me that the software upgrade TSB only applies to 2007's. I see that you have an 08 auto as well - have you experienced otherwise?

  4. #4
    JK Jedi Master ronjenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack2012 View Post
    The dealership told me that the software upgrade TSB only applies to 2007's. I see that you have an 08 auto as well - have you experienced otherwise?
    I have not had torque converter shudder. I know the tsb covers '07, but that doesn't mean an '08 may not need an update.

    Mine got an overall update in 2010 when I brought it in for the trans temp warning recall.
    Do you know if yours has had that recall?

    Unfortunately, they won't look to see if you need an update upon your request. It's usually done when it's brought in for a problem and they are in the computer anyway.

    You may indeed have a bad torque converter. I'm just pointing out it may be a software issue.

    Another thing to consider: What is the condition of the fluid and filter? Burned or contaminated fluid can cause similar problems.
    Last edited by ronjenx; 01-30-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    08 Rubicon Unlimited
    Auto Transmission

  5. #5
    JK Newbie wolfpack2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I don't think mine was included in that recall.

    I suggested the update to my dealer, and they said they would do it but could not guarantee any results. I guess it could be worth a shot?

    My transmission fluid looks fine, but I have not checked the filter. I will add that to my list of things to do, hopefully it isn't too difficult!

  6. #6
    JK Newbie wolfpack2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Bump one last time to see if anybody knows the cost of this repair.

  7. #7
    JK Jedi Master ronjenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack2012 View Post
    Bump one last time to see if anybody knows the cost of this repair.
    If I wanted to know the cost of replacing my torque converter, I would call the dealer, and a local transmission shop, and ask what the parts and labor costs would be.
    08 Rubicon Unlimited
    Auto Transmission

  8. #8
    JK Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Without a warranty don't go to the dealer to replace the torque converter. The dealer will likely charge $500-$750 for the converter. Go to a local tranny shop and have them do the work. They can either get a rebuilt converter or have yours rebuilt. Every bit as good as new and possibly better if you opt for upgrades. The rebuilt converter should be $250ish. The big cost is in the labor. Transmission has to come out.

  9. #9
    JK Newbie wolfpack2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBolt View Post
    Without a warranty don't go to the dealer to replace the torque converter. The dealer will likely charge $500-$750 for the converter. Go to a local tranny shop and have them do the work. They can either get a rebuilt converter or have yours rebuilt. Every bit as good as new and possibly better if you opt for upgrades. The rebuilt converter should be $250ish. The big cost is in the labor. Transmission has to come out.
    Thanks, Silver! This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get.

  10. #10
    JK Freak Rich6700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glenside Pa
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack2012

    Thanks, Silver! This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get.
    Beware of just replacing the converter there could be under lying problems. A good trans shop can drive your jeep and see what the trans is doing. Seeing if the converter is actually shuddering or if there is a line pressure problem. Most shop will not just replace the converter and give any kind of warranty they'll want to rebuild the trans to.

  11. Default JK-Forum


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •