TPMS replacement with tire change?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TPMS replacement with tire change?

Hoping theres a tire guru here-I recently found a bulge in the stock 4k mile BFG KM's and took it to Americas tire for warranty replacement. They said I would have to pay for a whole tire warranty plus labor and then drop the fact they will need to "rebuild" the TPMS sensor. Has anyone heard of this before? Seems to me an upsell as I dont belive they charge this for my van at work.
    2000 Jeep XJ Forest Service SE
    2001 Jeep XJ Sport
    2009 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon
    Past Jeeps owned- 85,94,96 XJ's/86 CJ7/65 CJ6/99 TJ/02 WJ- My pockets were empty long ago

WWW.NORTHRIDGE4X4.COM

i have not heard of anyone having to "rebuild" a tire sensor i don't think you can rebuild it. it's encased in a rubber acrylic.
    To much to list check my profile

www.Northridge4x4.com

I'll Keep My Guns ,Freedom and Money
    You can keep The
    "Change"

If the sensor is working - it's working. I would tell them no and to mount the new tire with the properly working sensor like it is. The only thing I know of that needs to be done with them is replace the battery on one's where that's possible, or replace the whole thing. If in doubt check with your Jeep dealer to see if there is anything that could be done on a "rebuild".
    Pastor Steve

Colorado Mountains = Land of Jeep Trails and Mountain Passes.

2008 Sahara, Jeep Green, 6 Spd., BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, JKS Quicker Discos. Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumper, Spidertrax Spacers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Firefly Antenna....et al

JK Junkie

It smells B.S.

Actually there is a "Service Kit" available for about $4.

"Service kits include sealing components such as caps, cores, grommets and nuts. OEM specifications call for these components to be replaced every time tires and rims on TPMS equipped vehicles are serviced."

Bob

2008 Jeep Green 2 door Rubicon

OME HD Lift
    PA 1" Body Lift
    Wild Boar Step-up Nerf Bars
    JKS Front & Rear Adjustable TrackBars
    Currie Adj Front and Rear Sway Bar Links
    Eagle 185 Series Wheels
    315/75 R16 T/A KM2
    PCS-SG-675 Steering Gear
    Rugged Ridge XHD Bumpers W/Tire Carrier
    XRC8 Winch
    Viair 20005 Air Source Kit
    AEV ProCal

and oh so much more

It is recommended that the sensors be rebuilt with every tire change, especially if moving wheels.

The kits are cheap. I got them free when I got my tires but never used them. My TPMS sensors have been used on 3 different sets of wheels and 3 tire changes. They work just fine.
    2008 Black Unlimited

if the cap for the valve is missing water and dirt will get in causing the valve core to seize, if the valve seizes the valve stem can be replaced but the sensor reused. (from what i've seen on BMW's TPM. )

JK Jedi

Or you could go the other route. Pull the other 4 sensors out, get a ProCal, and just turn the system off.

Quote Originally Posted by nthinuf View Post
    Or you could go the other route. Pull the other 4 sensors out, get a ProCal, and just turn the system off.
    i agree. you will know when your tires are low on air i was never a fan of the sensors had them in my gmc and they were always on in the mornings when it was cool and then would turn off in the afternoon when everything heated up it's started to get annoying.
    To much to list check my profile

www.Northridge4x4.com

I'll Keep My Guns ,Freedom and Money
    You can keep The
    "Change"

JK Jedi

Only problem is that I don't know the 'legality' of this, so I am hanging on to the sensors instead of selling them. (just might find that I need them for some future inspection or something)

Anyway, they break fairly easily, and get expensive to keep replacing, so I am much happier with them turned off.

11. Default JK-Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast