Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Yakima Bike Hitch Rack Interferes with Spare Tire

Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yakima Bike Hitch Rack Interferes with Spare Tire

I've got a Yakima Hitch Bike rack that fits when the tail gate is closed and is supposed to be able to fold down allowing access to the rear tailgate however the spare tire is about an inch too low and even with the rack folded down, it still hits the bike rack. Will a Spare Tire Carrier solve this issue? I see a lot of adapters meant to hold bigger tires that will shift the spare up and out a bit. Is this a good idea/way to solve this problem? I've got a 2011 rubi JKU if that makes a difference.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Which rack do you have? I'm looking at getting the double down 4 bike rack and I'm not sure if it will clear the spare. Would a hitch extender do the trick? Let me know if you ended up finding a resolution. I don't want to go with the spare tire rack due to weight and I will need to carry up to four snowboards at times.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

I was thinking along the same lines of using a hitch extender????
Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

I have an old version of the doubledown. The extender may work but my thought was that it would push out the carrier too far so I opted for a tire spacer that lifts the rear tire on the stock carrier by an inch or so. I haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping this solves the problem.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Get one of these

Click image for larger version

Name:	d_1362.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	273434
Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Durangoman
Get one of these

Attachment 273434
Not without getting a carrier I wouldn't. You seem to have the right setup. He doesn't have a carrier.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 PM
JK Freak

I would really lie one of these bust as stated in this thread i am also on a stock carrier and am worried about the weight...

Originally Posted by Durangoman
Get one of these

Attachment 273434
Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue with my my spare tire hitting my hitch rack, Thule model that folded down. A extension only pushes it out further from the spare, still can't open the tailgate when folded. Ended up buying a new rack, Thule swing away model was the only one that would clear the spare tire. Stock spare tire on a 2011 rubicon.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

I have a Thule Hitch mounted rack that I encountered the same problem with. My solution was a 1 foot hitch extender. It puts the rack out pretty far behind the Jeep but does allow use of the tailgate. Considering bikes are pretty light I dont think the extra leverage could cause any issues. Its not like we are towing a boat.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cjnapolitano
Which rack do you have? I'm looking at getting the double down 4 bike rack and I'm not sure if it will clear the spare. Would a hitch extender do the trick? Let me know if you ended up finding a resolution. I don't want to go with the spare tire rack due to weight and I will need to carry up to four snowboards at times.
I have the double down 4 bike rack. It does clear the stock spare (barely). It does not clear my 33/12.50/17 spare on the stock spare carrier though. I welded a short extention on the rack itself. Back in business again.

Quick Reply: Yakima Bike Hitch Rack Interferes with Spare Tire