Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TPMS stems

Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS stems

I was wondering if anyone with the aluminum wheel stems has converted to the rubber stems? If so did you need to replace the TPMS modules or is there a way to use rubber stems and the original TPMS modules. I've heard the reason for the change to rubber stems is due to corrosian on the aluminum setup AND the risk of snapping one off while wheeling or hitting a curb etc.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have replaced the valve stems and also the tires and rims....using original module, no issues w/my 2008.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

doh.. i threw out my old stems after i had my TPMS reinstalled. I think they said the stems had to be replaced anyway. but i might have them in a bag in my garbage can if they have any value..

(I'm talking rubber stems with the brass sleeve)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the exact same thing I want to do! For two reasons actually. One is to reduce the chance of the aluminum stems breaking. Secondly, because the black rubber valve stems will look better on my black rims.

Glad to hear that it can be accomplished. Has anyone ordered a set of the new style, OEM, black, and rubber valve stems that are stock on the 2011 and 12's?

Then successfully used these to replace the older, gray, stock, aluminum stems from the stock TMPS units from the 08, 09, 10 Jeeps??

That is what I am thinking about doing, and any success stories, part numbers, prices, etc would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

I guess I need to ask one more time. Can aluminum wheel stems on an '08 X, 17 inch aluminum rims 255 75 17 OEM Wrangler SRA's tires be replaced with rubber wheel stems and NO OTHER modification? Will the TPMS system function normally? Does the rubber stem slide into the TPMS tire module just like the aluminum one? BTW do you still have the stems you mentioned?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's a pic of the aluminum ones:

Old 04-10-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Anyone? Rubber stems with NO other parts and a functional TPMS system.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2012, that has the rubber ones, and I bought a used set of rims/ tires that have the aluminum stems, put them on, no light came on. it works fine!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Mike,

You can't attach the rubber valve stem to the aluminum stem sensor. The rubber valve stem attaches to its sensor with a screw. The aluminum has a t-shaped assembly as seen in the pics. You might be able to swap the different assemblies because both sensors are made by Schrader and probably have the same software.

Waldo
Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waldo
Mike,

You can't attach the rubber valve stem to the aluminum stem sensor. The rubber valve stem attaches to its sensor with a screw. The aluminum has a t-shaped assembly as seen in the pics. You might be able to swap the different assemblies because both sensors are made by Schrader and probably have the same software.

Waldo
Not doubting you, but I am getting ready to attempt the same thing. I can't remember which forum I read it cuz I hang out on four of them. Wherever I read it, there were at least a couple dudes that said Discount Tire and probaly other places can swap the newer style rubber valve stems with the aluminum gray ones. Also, they said it was relatively easy and not much money, After reading that thread I was relieved because I am going to attempt that exact thing when my new rims arrive which are black. I certainly don't want a grey, aluminum valve stem sticking out of my new black rips.

I am trying to say your wrong and my sources are right, but I just really want to be sure of it one way or any so I can plan accordingly. If I find those threads, then I will post them hear. If you find out anything then post it here. Hopefully, we can solve this little mystery once and for all!!

Quick Reply: TPMS stems