Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Traded in my 2007 JK original owner- Review, Goodbye and Thank You!!

Old 01-19-2017, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded in my 2007 JK original owner- Review, Goodbye and Thank You!!

Its been a good ten years, but was time to say fair well and move on. 2007 JK X, Manual, 3.21, 90,000 miles.

I live in Hawaii windward jungle side, on the ocean (we get a ton of salty rain n wind, acidic soil, uv damage)

Im not trying to be a big complainer I just wanted to share some of the issues and solutions that have helped over the years: semi chronological order

1. Original Battery quit after 2 years. Replaced with Diehard Marine grade (highly recommend never failed, still cranking 8 years later)

2. Purchased the first year the engine changed over, happened to acquire one of the oil consumers roughly 1 qt per 1k mile started light around 15k got heavier toward warranty expiration. ended up running 10w30 syn for life. (no dripping oil, however toward the end, oil coming from pass valve cover and timing case- pretty minor just wet)

3. Squeaky tranny, air intake? that high pitch whistle when under throttle at sweet spot. Never found the solution (cleaned out the TB, checked all vacuum lines) didnt seem to affect performance, It would come and go / I could prevent the noise with good driving habits.
Always used royal purple in diffs and tranny.

4. Frozen right rear caliper around 50k likely d/t bad fluid. (Replaced melted ABS sensor, took apart caliper noted rust pitting by seal, flushed system, all good.)

5. Broke nipple off of slave cylinder bleeder valve (plastic crap)

6. Broke Transfer case cable link at both the shifter and the case, always carry torx size to take center console apart, you dont want to be stuck in 4x4, or N (Never abused more plastic likely broke down d/t heat, modded with metal)

7. Rust:
windshield frame plate. started minor got pretty bad. Door hinges replace a month before corrosion warranty (design flaw of aluminum on steel)

front end after year 6 despite annual applications of oil to frame rails and undercarriage. First mod I did was to remove the plastic air dam, likely resulting in exposing Front end to acidic soil, salt water etc. (See pic)

Piston/ shocks rusted out pretty quick on hard top glass lift- could have replaced x2 in 10 years.

Seats mechanism rusted at 5year. Nearly had to take it apart and bolt or weld it in place. Finally freed up the mechanism, but what a pain that was.

soft top metal frame rusted apart and top got moldy fast

8. Clutch interlock switch went out. luckily i was able to easily figure it out (no electrical problems, just wouldn't turn. It started to go out slowly. I would press clutch turn key and it would send no power just pause longer and longer before finally becoming non responsive) crossed a couple wires and bypassed the switch- then it was able to start without foot on the clutch ( not safe for everyone)

9. Rat chewed a hole into the jeep from behind the rear tire mount through the tail gate plastic vent, as well as via rubber drain plugs. (dont leave food in any vehicle) Over the year there were a number of rat chews likely nothing serious, even despite a twix bar rolling into the dash crevasse( space between top of dash and front windshield)

10. Airbag light had been on for years. Recall out now ( my code is lost comm w front left impact sensor, could be rat chew or bad spring)

11. Leaking hardtop at front dripping on dash. UV and grime broke down seals. Never replaced, just got top snug, used a little silicone and let it be.

12. High pressure line in power steering rusted through (at lowest point under fan) 23$ non mopar replacement

13. small leak in evap system ( likely gas cap, replaced once- would come and go- sometimes even say cap.

14. MPG dropped since it was new despite having regular maintenance. on plugs, airfilter, oil, tire pressure highside.

15. Used a green scrubby to clean grunch of windshield scratched the crap out of it.. oops

16. first thing i would do before putting my seat belt on was turn traction control off, cant tell you how many times it could have killed me. (You can easily run a bypass)

Mods:

airdam removal

rear seat and seatbelts tossed

pulled carpet and applied gator guard 2 part epoxy. (writeup on site) If you do this be sure to remove insulating material on floor boards. was the only place material had cracking issues.

Drilled surf racks into hard top

Clutch interlock safety switch bypass (takes away cruise control)

stainless steel expanded sheet metal as radiator guard. ( I highly recommend it )

Overall I have no regrets on making the purchase 10 years ago. paid 24k didn't have to put too much into it considering where it had taken me, never got stuck, broke down, or had any serious issues in all my adventuring. buzzed around California for a year before moving to Hawaii. I feel that most people with Jeep problems don't keep an eye on fluids/ neglect or abuse their jeeps with poor driving habits/ multiple drivers. good luck to all and thanks for providing a Jeep JK community where problem solutions tips can be shared.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's really not much of a complaint list at all. I'm stabbing up similar mileage (albeit not nearly as long of ownership as you) and I'm enjoying every ounce of it. These very simple, low option jeeps seem to be the ones that just go. Regular maintenance and they're just reliable.

Good to hear and sorry to see you're leaving the community.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Doesn't sound too bad! 3.8 may be a dog but seems pretty reliable. My 2010 has 52k and I haven't had a single issue besides the transmission lines replaced for free
Old 01-19-2017, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That's really not much of a complaint list at all. I'm stabbing up similar mileage (albeit not nearly as long of ownership as you) and I'm enjoying every ounce of it. These very simple, low option jeeps seem to be the ones that just go. Regular maintenance and they're just reliable.

That is a long list in my book. I do not buy the "Jeep Wrangler awesomeness" as justification for non-reliability, and especially for the price.

This is my list on my last 2 vehicles before the Jeep

12 year old econo-box 2003 Nissa Sentra SE-R specV. 2 coil packs for $140. Still going strong now at 14 years old in the hands of the person I sold it to.

14 year old Toyota Tundra V8. Still in my hands, 150k miles. Bought used in 2007. Previous owner loaded it like a mule. Total repairs cost: $37, for 1 oxygen sensor. This truck is plainly outstandingly awesome. Runs like brand new, A/C, paint, you name it are in excellent shape. It blows my mind an almost 15 year old vehicle is still driving the way this one is with virtually 0 repairs needed.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I guess didn't read the caveats in the list if you think it's a long list. Doing no maintenance on a vehicle in 150k miles doesn't make it reliable, it names the owner as negligent.

I've had those vehicles that receive no maintenance and it's great but when something goes wrong it's usually compounding and catastrophic. My last Wrangler was good for 250k miles before I couldn't bear the 4cyl any longer. I've got another Wrangler in the driveway now with 220k on the clock but when something goes, the whole thing will go to the curb as the previous owner never took decent care of it.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Rust Pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2485.PNG
Views:	145
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	665028

If you look at the photo you can see where the sway bar mount came off from the frame. Photo doesn't do justice. The frame has worn pretty thin. You can pull pieces off from multiple locations. Maybe if I were more diligent with rust proofing it could have been prevented. Can it be repaired? sure, but im not interested in dealing with it plus tires at 15%, brake overhaul due, other hydraulic lines oxidizing, random rat chewed wires, engine drinking oil, clutch still intact. felt as though trading was my best option and taking its equity and putting it toward a truck. I got 7k on the trade, 5k off MSRP, and a few other perks for my new daily driver baseline F150 Regular cab, 8' bed, 4x4. As basic as the new truck is its still too electronic for my liking. Im really going to miss the simplicity and dependability of manual switches, cable driven 4x4, solid front axel, etc... could be a whole other list!

I was wondering if the swaybar bracket to the frame pools water there. something to checkout/ keep an eye on. Thanks, J
Old 01-19-2017, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks if I ever find a used from the leeward side as a steal due to a blown engine, clutch, tranny, I would consider looking into it as a build. I'll be back!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Evangelos k
That is a long list in my book. I do not buy the "Jeep Wrangler awesomeness" as justification for non-reliability, and especially for the price.

This is my list on my last 2 vehicles before the Jeep

12 year old econo-box 2003 Nissa Sentra SE-R specV. 2 coil packs for $140. Still going strong now at 14 years old in the hands of the person I sold it to.

14 year old Toyota Tundra V8. Still in my hands, 150k miles. Bought used in 2007. Previous owner loaded it like a mule. Total repairs cost: $37, for 1 oxygen sensor. This truck is plainly outstandingly awesome. Runs like brand new, A/C, paint, you name it are in excellent shape. It blows my mind an almost 15 year old vehicle is still driving the way this one is with virtually 0 repairs needed.

I agree, as far as im concerned It was highly reliable in the past ten years. Just a little high maintenance with the oil consumption (my only true gripe) 2008 was when they offered the lifetime powertrain. Your older vehicles sounds kinda like my family station wagon growing up, by station wagon i mean 89 k5 blazer. I have many fond memories of driving around in NE snow storms, running the powerlines, as a young child with the fam, lasted forever, was sold off after my older brother smashed on it through high school, Many years later I heard a vehicle driving down the road while on the vineyard looked over and there it was full of tools and running strong, still covered with a bunch of old stickers we slapped on it. If smart phones were around then I would have taken 100 shots.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

I guess didn't read the caveats in the list if you think it's a long list. Doing no maintenance on a vehicle in 150k miles doesn't make it reliable, it names the owner as negligent.

I've had those vehicles that receive no maintenance and it's great but when something goes wrong it's usually compounding and catastrophic. My last Wrangler was good for 250k miles before I couldn't bear the 4cyl any longer. I've got another Wrangler in the driveway now with 220k on the clock but when something goes, the whole thing will go to the curb as the previous owner never took decent care of it.

Never said I don't do regural maintainance. I'm anal when it comes to oil changes, 5k, no exception, along with tire rotation. Drain radiator (not flush) and refill every year. Drain and refill trans fluid every 30k. Diff. every 60k. Plugs, filters, etc on manufacturer's intervals. That is maintainance. Rust, broken parts, alternators failing etc is not maintainance. If you don't think that on a 15 year old vehicle NOTHING has broken does not attest to the manufacturer's quality, I dont know what does.

Last edited by Evangelos k; 01-19-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Here's my long list on my 2009 with 126K miles on it. Doesn't seem to burn oil, I change it every 3K miles.

1. Door lock actuators, replaced 2 of them, 1 under warranty. Driver's side front and Driver's side rear.

2. Left front speed sensor replacement, may have been self induced, happened shortly after doing the Mopar BBK install. 85K miles.

3. Post Cat (2) O2 sensor replacement at 90K miles.

4. OEM Battery replaced after 3 years. Not needed but wanted Die-hard Platinum marine for other reasons. DH Platinum died after 3 years, replaced with the same.

5. Right Front Wheel bearing replaced after 110K miles. May have been self induced, I added wheel spacers.

6. Currently diagnosing heater related problem, radiator might need replacing.

7. Driver door actuator cable and actuator bracket replaced, suspect warranty work actuator lock replacement as cause. Things weren't fully assembled correctly when I took it apart. 90K miles.

8. Tie-rod replacement at 105K miles.

9. Sometimes have problems getting my defrost switch to lock into place. Started happening after 80K miles.

The ONLY thing needing repair before 80K miles was my driver side door lock actuator. At the time it seemed like I had a bunch of things going on at around 90K mile range, but they ended up being very were minor items. Everything else was regular maintenance items like brakes and fluids.

I have no complaints. No rust problems and I live in a rust belt state. Absolutely the best, funnest and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned Toyota, GM, Ford, Dodge, and other Jeep vehicles. The Ford was the absolutely worst unreliable vehicle I ever owned and will likely never purchase another Ford. The Toyota was the most boring vehicle I ever owned but was reliable.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-20-2017 at 05:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Traded in my 2007 JK original owner- Review, Goodbye and Thank You!!