Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tranny Blew after only 51,000 miles

Old 01-21-2017, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tranny Blew after only 51,000 miles

My 2011 JK Rubicon's transmission croaked yesterday.
I was just backing out of the garage and there was a loud clunk followed by grinding noises. I was able to get it into reverse but only for about 1/2 block and that was that.
Had it towed to the stealer and the next day they told me that the pan was full of grindings and it was toast.
The warranty is 60,000 miles of which I am way under but the 5 years ended in October of 2016. I hadn't even reached the tranny fluid change mileage.
Is this a common issue with these Jeeps and has anyone else had it happen this early?
What are the odds they will fix it under warranty?
Old 01-21-2017, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by azphoto
My 2011 JK Rubicon's transmission croaked yesterday.
I was just backing out of the garage and there was a loud clunk followed by grinding noises. I was able to get it into reverse but only for about 1/2 block and that was that.
Had it towed to the stealer and the next day they told me that the pan was full of grindings and it was toast.
The warranty is 60,000 miles of which I am way under but the 5 years ended in October of 2016. I hadn't even reached the tranny fluid change mileage.
Is this a common issue with these Jeeps and has anyone else had it happen this early?
What are the odds they will fix it under warranty?
My torque converter was the problem. Just had mine rebuilt out of warranty at 114,000. The local stealership here quoted me close to $5000 for a rebuilt one, because there are no new ones to be had so I was told.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had mine rebuilt. 2013 jku at 70,000 miles. Torque converter was the problem. Thankfully, mine was still under warranty.

Quick Reply: Tranny Blew after only 51,000 miles