Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transfer case bombed

Old 02-05-2016, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case bombed

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their T-case? Mine decided to give up the other day and jeep is wanting to replace it with a rebuilt one from Chrysler instead of a new one, they never even mentioned a new one it was a rebuilt one or rebuild the one in the jeep at the dealer. It is under powertrain warranty so it costs me nothing but I don't know if I should gripe about the rebuilt one or not. Its a 2011 JK, 35k miles. I guess they only have to rebuild or replace the parts in the one in the JK but I'm a little skeptical of rebuilt stuff. Hope they warranty the rebuild for at least a year. What do you guys think?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by paintm4u
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their T-case? Mine decided to give up the other day and jeep is wanting to replace it with a rebuilt one from Chrysler instead of a new one, they never even mentioned a new one it was a rebuilt one or rebuild the one in the jeep at the dealer. It is under powertrain warranty so it costs me nothing but I don't know if I should gripe about the rebuilt one or not. Its a 2011 JK, 35k miles. I guess they only have to rebuild or replace the parts in the one in the JK but I'm a little skeptical of rebuilt stuff. Hope they warranty the rebuild for at least a year. What do you guys think?
In your warranty paperwork, it states they have the option of replacing warrantied parts with new, remanufactured, reconditioned, or repaired parts, depending on the part involved. That includes entire assemblies.
The usual warranty on a replaced part is 1 year. You should be covered for the duration of your original powertrain warranty.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-05-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

When the case on my transmission was cracked I tried to order a new one--this wasn't warranty, I was paying. Jeep said they don't offer new ones. Ever. All are rebuilt. So I ordered--and received a new one direct from Mercedes. I think they must make just enough to keep the supply chain afloat, then after that only sell rebuilts. So, maybe you'll get lucky or not. The fellow who installed the transmission for me--an expert at transmission rebuilding--said you're actually better with a rebuilt since they spend more time ensuring everything is back in tolerance. The factory production line assumes delivered parts will fit properly and takes far fewer measurements to get everything into spec.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
When the case on my transmission was cracked I tried to order a new one--this wasn't warranty, I was paying. Jeep said they don't offer new ones. Ever. All are rebuilt. So I ordered--and received a new one direct from Mercedes. I think they must make just enough to keep the supply chain afloat, then after that only sell rebuilts. So, maybe you'll get lucky or not. The fellow who installed the transmission for me--an expert at transmission rebuilding--said you're actually better with a rebuilt since they spend more time ensuring everything is back in tolerance. The factory production line assumes delivered parts will fit properly and takes far fewer measurements to get everything into spec.

Well after 2 and a half weeks I finally got the Jeep back and they did replace the T-case with a Chrysler refurbished one. I was disappointed in the warranty on it as it is just warranted it for the remainder of the original power train warranty, even if its just 1 week or whatever. The weird part is they said they couldn't even get the parts to rebuild the old T-case, so how do they rebuild them at Chrysler if the parts aren't available?????? Oh well it works great now so I guess I;ll just take it and run. Thanks for the replys guys.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

A lot of times the manufacturer is limiting the part availability to assure the availability of reman units... I sell Ford parts at a dealership, and it is VERY common to have a reman assembly available, but have a bearing or something be on backorder for months.

Quick Reply: Transfer case bombed